Thursday, July 26, 2012

Think About It -- One More Time

Please respond to this question during the last few days of your internship.

For the past four weeks, you have been deeply involved in the world of work. You have been immersed in a corporate culture, shadowed professionals, chatted with co-workers, and tried out many new "hats." What did it all mean?
In the proverbial "25 words or less"  (okay, maybe 50 words), distill the essence of your internship experience.  What meant the most to you?


Maybe your mentor made a comment that really resonated. Perhaps it was something you observed in your co-workers that provided you with a "eureka moment." A task that seemed mundane when assigned may have proved to be profound in a way you never expected.

Whatever it is, tell us what you will take away from PRIME 2012.

72 comments:

  1. Learning about the multiple career paths people took that moved them around the country showed me that I really like the idea of flexibility in any job I take, and that I should try to pursue any opportunity I am offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also found hearing about people's career paths to be one of my favorite parts of this experience, and pursuing opportunities definitely seemed to be one of the key factors in the successful, fulfilling paths.

      Delete
    2. This was also my favorite piece of information I learned! Having a goal doesn't mean that you are tied down and can't change your mind without still being successful

      Delete
  2. PRIME allowed me to experience a day in the life of what I want my future to be like. The most memorable thing I took from this experience was that I met so many amazing people who had stumbled into their jobs. I learned that some of the best career paths are those that are accidental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I can say the same. Most of the people in my office didn't realize what they wanted to do until about a year into college. All paths lead to somewhere (a career), so I'll make sure I get on those paths early. Glad you had a good time!

      Delete
    2. I found that to be the case as well. It makes the ones of us that aren't quite sure what we want to do feel better about it, and gives us hope that we'll eventually find an ocupation that makes us happy.

      Delete
  3. What I most enjoyed about this experience was becoming proficient in a career field that interests me. Not only did I network and learn about other people's jobs, I actually gained skills that allow me to pursue this career in the future.
    I enjoyed the field trips because they allowed me to look more closely at different careers and how people got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on being able to learn skills that will be able to help you for the future! That's really going to pay off in the long run.

      Delete
  4. My internship gave me a great first working experience. I know what it feels like now to be comfortable in a work environment and how to be a helpful addition to a workplace. I've seen how there are many ways to pursue what you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've seen, it seems like you are really comfortable with your mentors and other adults around. I know some people have trouble talking to adults and think it's really cool that you can carry such a good conversation with them.

      Delete
    2. From your recent blog posts, I love how you discovered that there are jobs in media for companies wouldn't typically think of... the Chamber of Commerce for example. Glad you had a good time this month!

      Delete
    3. It's great that you had a good first-time experience and that you learned from your job. It's awesome that you've had all of your epiphanies along the way and that you really took away everything that you could from the experience!

      Delete
  5. Its so hard to explain all the things I am greatful through this experience. Coming into this internship, I had no idea what to expect or how to feel. I never once had a real job, with no experience what so ever. But working here, made much more confident in my self, that I can push my self, both long term and short term. It gave me a good experience on what to expect in this field. And because doing this internship, I had decided to go to Medical school and get my degree in psychiatry, so one day I can help people, just like the doctors I work for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its really cool that you were able to get an internship in a field you felt really serious about, and even better that you could decide that is what you really want to do through this "test run".

      Delete
  6. Throughout this past month, I gained plenty of insight into the industry of architecture, construction, and engineering. The greatest thing I learned from this internship was the fact that I might not want to go into specific fields of engineering or architecture. This is a realization that I'm glad I had now, rather than during or after college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you were able to rule out a specific field while still realizing that architecture is what you want to go into.

      Delete
    2. I think it's great not only to learn about more about a career field, but to be able to rule out what you've realized you don't like before it's too late.

      Delete
  7. I have learned that even with a job that is considered boring to most people, there are still ways to have fun. I think I learned a lot about how an office operates, and I think the things I learned will be very useful in future jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see you taking more than one thing from your (half)-experience.

      Delete
  8. At first I saw the job as not extremely important but in the first few meetings I started to understand. The policies that are made them can completely alter the military health care system for ever and all that is based on the statistical date gathered in my department which struck my as a huge amount of responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like almost every single job carries some sort of relevance in the real world.

      Delete
  9. I have learned throughout this experience that it truly does take a village, as cheesy as that may sound. You can't get anything done without the help from others, and therefore everyone provides an important and valuable role in their community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that you learned something that can be so fully applied in real life.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like President Obama. :P

      Delete
    3. I completely agree. It does take a vast array of talented people to run a community.

      Delete
    4. I'm so glad someone else took the "it takes a village" approach :) I didn't want to be too cheesy. But it's true that people need help and are dependent on others, whether they like it or not.

      Delete
  10. I am now better acquainted with the work environment, and appreciate more fully the diverse aspects of which careers consist. Also, my knowledge of urban planning has greatly expanded while working at CPRO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounded like you got to do some cool stuff. How did your survey turn out?

      Delete
    2. Though I had finished writing my survey, I was not able to send it out. There were many more businesses on Columbia Pike than were listed in the database. Therefore, I searched and added over 150 businesses to the CPRO list. My mentor, Takis Karantonis, told me that he would take care of sending out the survey, and would deliver the results to me. Luckily, I will have the opportunity to analyze the data. Also, I was invited to attend a future meeting, which in part will discuss the findings from my survey.

      Delete
  11. I'm much more familiar with the field of photography now than when I started this internship. I now understand much of the business aspect,as well as the creative aspect. I've learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that there is a business aspect to photography at all! Not many people think about that side to the career, and it's awesome that you got to experience it!

      Delete
  12. I found that I gained the most during the field trips and hearing about how many different people from different careers got to be where they are today. I learned that as long as you work hard and seek opportunities as they come, you are likely to chance upon a good career that fits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I am practicing at my internship! I am glad that this is what you are taking out of this experience!

      Delete
    2. Hearing about the speakers' paths in finding their careers also strengthened my belief in the importance of hard work and open-mindedness. Are you considering learning more about computer programming?

      Delete
  13. The most important thing I learned from this experience was the ability to deal with frustrated coworkers and employees by pretending to really care about their problems and be as supportive as possible. - This may sound harsh but it is a very valuable tool for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the day I agree that the most important thing you can learn in a work place is how to deal with people and work problems out with them, or to try and get them to do what you want.

      Delete
    2. You're right- it sounds harsh but it's very true!

      Delete
  14. One of the most resonating things I took away from PRIME was when my mentor said, “To be a doctor, you have to care about people. All people.” Before, I had a set view in my mind of the ideal patient and what a future as a doctor would be like. But during my internship it occurred to me that everyone in the world is so different with a lot you don’t know about them. I saw this while interacting with both coworkers and patients. I learned how to network and deal with people in a friendly manner no matter their attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really important to realize that many people have different core values than you, and those are all just as meaningful and important as yours, even if they are different. It's great that you're learning that a young age.

      Delete
    2. I too want to work in the medical field, psychiatrist mainly, and they're all about caring about their patients. Something I learned about my internship is that doesn't mater if there male, female, black or white, were all humans, and we all need confronting.

      Delete
  15. My internship was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. As a rising Senior I will need to know (or at least have an idea) which field I want to enter. This is a very intimidating feeling; having yet to turn 17 and needing to decide what I want to do with my life. The reality is, though undergrads don't declare their college majors until later, most colleges have separate schools (like engineering, architecture, etc.) to apply into. Through my internship I was able to narrow my options down; I don't want to do architecture. I had SO much fun at my internship. I met amazing people who are truly in love with their jobs, but, the field is simply not for me. I am still not sure what I want, but I am able to say that architecture is not my passion.
    Additionally, my internship showed me what the real world is like. As a student in Arlington, so driven and even pushed to apply to a thousand colleges, it is easy to look passed what the real world of employment looks like. It was a refreshing reality check for me.
    I am so appreciative that I was given this amazing opportunity and will certainly treasure what I have learned.
    (Sorry this is long)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you enjoyed it so much! I also agree with your point-- that the "college race" can make us forget what our future really is.

      Delete
  16. I now know that variety in your tasks is important to me. Practically everything is always so interesting to me, and I finally realize that because of that, searching for a career where I have one main job may not be practical; I'd have to work on many different projects. Luckily, it seems most jobs offer some sort of diversity in their work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you learned so much from your internship! It is great that you are interested in not just one career field.

      Delete
    2. That's a good thing to know about yourself. Maybe a liberal arts education is in your future?

      Delete
  17. During my internship I learned about what it was like to work in a hotel and in an office in general. At the begining of my internship I really couldn't help people who came into the office, but at the end I was able to help people who were looking to apply for jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that by the end you were able to really help out!

      Delete
    2. It is good that you picked up some helpful office skills. I'm sure that they will be of use later in life.

      Delete
  18. What I took away from my internship is that you must ALWAYS pay attention to meticulous details. I found that several times, I needed to know all the details about a task I was given before carrying it out! Right before leaving the doctor's office on one of the last days of my internship I accidenly poured out an important urine sample. If I had just payed attention and kept in mind the routine procedures done with the urine, I would have definitely not done what I did. Nevertheless they really appreciated my help, and thanked me for my work. In the working world I will always pay attention to details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you usually a pretty meticulous person, or is that a trait you are planning on developing as a result of your internship?

      Delete
  19. Through my internship, I have learned how much more there is to being a doctor than just diagnosing patients. In a private practice, the doctor also has to deal with finances, insurance, and keeping the office under control. I also learned that no matter how frustrating or small a task may seem, they are all important and must be done with care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you were able to see how a doctor's office runs!

      Delete
    2. Was it difficult to learn about all of the different components of a doctor's office at the same time?

      Delete
    3. Oh I had learned the same thing at my psychiatric internship. In order for the office to function, it requires not only the doctors, but the billing departments, the secretarys, the smaller potions. They all rely on each other.

      Delete
  20. What I took away from my internship was the importance of a collaborative environment. I started on the Monday after the storm and every member from all of the departments had to come together to help fix the problems caused by the power outages. I also learned to take advantage of every opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely relate to what you're saying about the collaborative work environment. I found that the group I was with was very into getting everyone involved to make decisions, too.

      Delete
    2. Did you find it was hard to work with so many people from numerous departments?

      Delete
  21. What I took away from this internship experience is that there are adults that really value the opinions of teenagers. The people I worked with at the Partnership for Children, Youth and Families really made me feel like I was doing something really helpful and important to their work. They were always eager to hear my thoughts about different projects and because of this, I became more confident about making suggestions. Together, I think we did a lot of great things. I really gained more confidence in my own ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like my opinions, as a student at Yorktown, were also valued. Because I'm working with APS Construction and Design, who is building YHS, my insight was very special and first hand. It is nice working with people who really care and value your opinions.

      Delete
  22. What I took away from my internship was that it takes many people to keep companies running smoothly. Much like the airport, a hotel is a small city. By being a part of this city, I got to see the behind-the-scenes jobs and people that make the company thrive. This internship gave me insight into a possible future job and was something I'll always remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to read and learn about how different companies are like cities. It is something I had never thought about until I did this internship program!

      Delete
    2. I saw the same things at the newspaper. There are so many people who work to get the paper printed every week.

      Delete
  23. My experience with PRIME taught me to take chances that are not always something you might do. In the future, I am going to try to keep an open mind when opportunities are given to me.
    My internship helped me learn how to control a classroom, formally work with others who are in my field of interests, and learn in a point of view that is not a student. I felt that having a formal work experience where people did not give me busy work or treated me like a child or teenager and did not judge me because of my age was what meant most to me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I know exactly what you mean, at first I felt that I had to call my co workers by "Mrs." or "Mr.", but they all went my first name bases, and I truly felt like an employee. That type of respect is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Through my internship, I was reminded that happiness is key. If I'm happy with what I'm doing, then everything is fine. I've always been told that the key to success is getting a good job, living in a nice house, etc. But the truth is, that's not success the way I want it. I'm capable of greatness. But maybe, just maybe, I don't want it. Maybe my future could just be filing away papers and I'd be perfectly good with that.
    If what I do makes me happy, then nothing else matters.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This internship was the first time I felt like I was doing work for some purpose other than a grade—helping people at the NRC and learning about their studies that have real world applications is really neat. I also enjoyed observing a government workplace for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way- working on the school newspaper doesn't feel the same as working with a real one.

      Delete
    2. That's good that you found your work to be purposeful and rewarding. I too have a similar feeling about my internship.

      Delete
  27. This internship let me see what a working environment is truly like and what it means to be an employee. I've learned a lot, from how coral grow to how to clean tanks, as well as that it takes many different people to keep a work place running smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. In my internship I got to see first hand what it's like to work with a newspaper. I learned about interviewing and article writing, and getting to see my work in the newspaper was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that you got to see your work in the newspaper. That must have felt really rewarding.

      Delete
  29. The internship has brought my interests in having a career in the field of my internship. Seeing all the available jobs in the National Park Service, and volunteer opportunities has made me want to eventually work with them again. Also a good work environment can make a job go by quicker and make it more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete