Thursday, July 12, 2012

Calendar Question

I greatly enjoyed spending the day with all of you on Tuesday.  It was wonderful to be with a group of young people who were obviously prepared for the experience, courteous, and involved with what was going on.

Please reflect on Tuesday's experience and then tell me one important, interesting and/or new idea, fact, or bit of information you learned, either at the Courthouse or at the Airport.  Spend a few sentences explaining why you chose to write about that item

If there was anything about the trip you think could have been improved,  include that in your response as well. 

30 comments:

  1. My favorite part of our trip was the airport speed dating. I liked getting to learn about all of the jobs in the airport apart from flight attendants and pilots. I didn't realize how many jobs could be in one building! I found that with each new person I met, I became more comfortable with asking questions and I got the hang of what kind of questions were the best. I think it would have been interesting to get to see a criminal trial at the courthouse, such as the one that was finishing up right as we came in to see the judge. I liked getting to see my friends and hearing about how their internships are different from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that I found interesting from our trip Tuesday was the speed networking we did at the airport. What I found most interesting and noticed that almost everyone answered when asked, was that they didn't ever plan on holding the job they have now. It was cool to hear what they planned on doing and how their interests and skill sets led them to their current job, one that they now love doing but had never anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One interesting thing I took from Tuesday was being able to watch two court cases for a few minutes. I actually wanted to stay longer! I'm a Law & Order junkie, so those sort of things interest me, so being able to see it in real life and be able to compare it to the movies was interesting. I think that it would be interesting to be able to see the jail, or see a court case from the beginning. I also really enjoyed the environment; being surrounded by my friends and other people my age who are also interning. It was great to hear about their experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the time we spent at the airport on Tuesday. Getting to see a little about many different jobs around the airport was really interesting and fun! Though I knew that a lot of work goes into running an airport, I had no idea how many different jobs there are. Getting to "speed date" with the airport workers gave me some insight as to how an airport really is like a city. I also really enjoyed spending time with the other PRIME students and hearing about their internships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked our tour of the operations room at the airport. The reason for this is because I internship at the airport, and it was really interesting to learn about something that I had never noticed before. I used to think the tower was the main nerve center since everyone keeps asking me if I have toured that place yet. And the tower may be a great experience, but I feel that the tour of the operations room yielded more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found that the most interesting part of the trip was the airport speed dating. Getting to talk with a lot of different people with different jobs individually was very helpful. What struck me the most was how almost none of them intended to end up working at an airport. Most of the employees had very little idea what they wanted to do coming out of college. Although they had a field or area of interest, they didn't know what they wanted to do within it. By taking small jobs/internships, working hard, and seeking opportunities, however, they were able to find good careers that they enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite part of the trip on Tuesday was the "speed dating" with the airport staff. Through this activity, I learned that the airport truly acts like a city. One interesting fact I learned was that a chaplain works at the airport! He has a service every Sunday at 11, with an attendance of approximately six people every week (two of them are regular employees that work at Regan). He is also there to help passengers if they just need to talk someone (ex. a family member passes away). I found this airport occupation interesting because it shows that the airport provides services for everyone, and that they really do care about the passengers that go through there. One thing I would improve about the trip is to spend more time at the airport. There seemed to be a lot more to see there, such as touring the traffic control tower and the administrative offices, so I would have liked to stay there longer than at the courthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite part of the trip was meeting the different employees of the airport. I liked how the airport has employees that just perform audits within the airport. It was cool to see all of the different jobs that go on behind the scenes of the airport. My favorite part of the speed dating was one the of the employees telling me about the field of industrial engineering. It sounds like something that I would love doing and would be good at. Industrial engineering involes looking at ways to make different processes more efficient, like assembly lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite part of the field trip on Tuesday was at the airport when we were able to go around and meet different people that worked in the airport. I really enjoy hearing about peoples’ jobs so this was very interesting to me. It really surprised me how many different departments there are in an airport and how different the jobs are in each department. Another great part of the field trip was being able to sit in on a trial. I wish we had been able to stay longer for that. Both locations of the field trip were very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite part of the field trip Tuesday was going to the courthouse and getting the opportunity to talk to all the different people who worked there. It put things into perspective to hear their stories and learn how they got to where they are today. I also really liked that we could ask them any questions we wanted, and that they would answer. I think that helped to give us a better view of what it's really like to work there and what their jobs are really like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked going to the courthouse and listening to the speakers there. Hearing the speakers' stories was not only entertaining but also really informative as well. The experience has not convinced me to go for a career in Law but I now have a better understanding of what is involved. My favorite part of the experience was watching the court cases. I was expecting them to be much more dramatic and was surprised by the relaxed atmosphere
    and the professionals' nonchalant attitude. Seeing the court rooms in action helped me realized that I was judging a career in Law by both TV shows and my experience learning about the judiciary branch in AP Gov last year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The part I enjoyed the most on our field trip was touring the different areas of the airport and seeing the behind the scenes areas in use. After talking to all of the speakers during the "speed careers" activity, I really did understand how the airport worked like a city. I didn't know that there were so many jobs to keep an airport running smoothly. Prior to the field trip, I didn't think that the field trip was going to be interesting to me in any which way but I was pleasantly surprised by the experience.

    One way I believe that the field trip could be improved upon is the length of the airport tour and the lunch arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you increase or decrease the length of the airport tour? What kind of arrangements would you make for lunch?

      Delete
  13. My favorite part of the trip was the airport. Even though I am interning there, I don't get to see much of it. It was good to find out about the different people who work there. I liked talking to the communications person and the human resource person, because they helped me understand the inner workings of the airport better. In the future, I may need their help if I decide to apply for a summer job there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whenever I go to the airport for a trip I always look around at the people working there and wonder how they ended up in their current job, because I couldn't imagine why people would want to hold those jobs. But from the exploration of jobs we did I learned about all the benefits holding a job with the airport,specifically TSA, has like higher pay, a position in the government, and flexible work hours. It also opened up my eyes to all people working in an airport and what a large operation it is. To improve upon the experience I think a tour of the jail should definitely be added.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed the airport speed dating the most, though it was interesting to spectate several court cases. After learning about the different careers in the airport, I understood why it is similar to a city. Like a city, there is a great amount of diverse occupations. An airport requires not only pilots, but cooks, policemen, managers, janitors, clerks, bus drivers, and even priests. I chose to write about this, as my internship deals with urban planning. A big part of understanding cities is appreciating how diverse they are. I'd imagine many other locations require just as great diversity in occupations as airports do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was surprised that there were so many different jobs at the airport. I travel a lot but I never really think about who makes the contracts for the different stores, or who keeps the computers secure. I was also interested in how people came to hold the jobs they did. Some people seemed to happen upon their position by chance whithout a real plan. Being undecided in what I want to major in, it is comforting to know that things seem to turn out all right in the end. Everyone we talked to seemed genuinly happy and enthusiastic about what they were doing. I enjoyed talking to all the people at the airport, but I was pretty tired by then and had a hard time really engaging. I also wished we had watched more court cases becuase they were really interesting. So maybe for the future less airport and more courtroom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had no idea that the jail was right next to the court house, I found that very interesting. I was also shocked to hear that the jail cells (or "pods" as they called them) were like college dorms. I never would have thought of them like that. I also never knew that airports had their own priest. I thought that the trip was well worth it, and I learned more than I thought I was going to. The best part about the trip was how welcoming all the people were and how happy they were to speak with us about their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. During the field trip to the airport I was surprised to learn about how complex the airport community is. Prior to our visit I was unaware of how many careers are represented in the operation of an airport. For example when we did the speed dating activity I met and talked to a variety of professionals including a mechanical engineer, TSA officer, minister and a member of the K9 bomb detection patrol. After this experience I have gained appreciation for the enormous amount of collaboration and organization required to create and maintain a functional airport community.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Learning about the diversity of available jobs at the airport was the most interesting part of the trip to the airport. Though I have fun at my internship it is nice to get out of the lab to see and do other things. The presenters were as interested in us as we were with them which resulting in more interesting dialogue instead of them just mechanically telling us what they did. All around good trip, but I wish it did not interrupt the time that we could have been at our internships.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really enjoyed our time at the airport. I found it very beneficial to hear about the many many jobs that there are in an airport! I found it fascinating how many jobs there actually were and how many different routes people took to get there. The one that interested me most was the airport chaplain, because of the exotic nature of his work. It was just something that I had never seen in an airport or thought about. It was interesting to learn about all of the many options that we have to look at in the future as we decide our careers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found the advice about the future from the two lawyers we talked to at the Courthouse very interesting--and funny. I think I remember it above everything else we learned because I thought their dynamic made them fun to listen to, and made me want their advice. I've got college on the brain right now, so the suggestions they gave about pursuing your passions after high school, and that it's not the school but the person who determines the kind of higher education one can recieve were important to me. I had a lot of fun on the trip, and thought it was well-organized and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The field trip was a lot of fun! Walking into the courtroom, it was as if I was in a movie, or in a show. It was intimidating at first, however, once the people introduced themselves, I became intrigued in their paths and occupations. At the airport it was nice to see several workers in diverse fields! The speed dating idea was fun, and didn't allow a conversation to plateau. I enjoyed seeing the "beggining airport," as well as the less used areas of the airport. One thing I learned is that you cannot plan to be a judge; in order to become one you must have several years of experience as a lawyer, AND go through several filtrations in order to be elected. Although it may seem like a fun profession, there aren't many vacancies anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found it very interesting that there was no planning or career path that somebody needed to take in order to be a judge.I always assumed that since judges had such a huge responsibility, they would have to be preparing to take on such a task for years. I also enjoyed seeing all of the different careers that existed in the airport, because nobody ever really thinks about anybody but the pilots and the people at the kiosks. There were a few careers that interested me that I never would have expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What jobs specifically interested you out of all the ones we met?

      Delete
  24. One thing I learned while on the Tuesday tour was that your coworkers are very important in your job. Having great people around you makes a profession more productive and enjoyable-- I liked how many of the Airport employees referred to the whole place as a family. Overall the trip was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed the fieldtrip on Tuesday. I was a little surprised though, because I never really had an interest in planes and didn't think I'd enjoy a job there. But on the fieldtrip I learned that there are so many jobs at the airport, in every single field you can reasonably imagine, and that I shouldn't close any doors before peeking in. If there was one thing I could change it would be that I wanted to spend a little more time one-oe-one with the staff at the airport (doing the speed dating type thing) and less time sitting around at the courthouse, though I loved talking with the judges, lawyers, and other people that worked there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. On the field trip, my favorite part was, surprisingly, the Courthouse. I enjoyed walking around and realizing how many people I'd met and how much I'd learned before the trip. I also love how I recognize people I met on trip while I watch them work in Court. There wasn't one particular bit of information that I found overly interesting, but instead came to a realization. When Judge Kelley mentioned that he sometimes talked to elementary schools on field trips, I realized he actually spoke to my class when we went to the Courthouse when I was little. It's cool to me how I ended up seeing him again and actually working in the same place as him.

    ReplyDelete
  27. "Don't close any doors without peeking in." Excellent advice, Maria, and really what the group days in PRIME are all about. As a whole, a think this year's PRIME group has done a great job of keeping an open mind, both at your individual internships and on the field trips. Consequently, I think you'll find you've learned quite alot, perhaps in ways you hadn't expected.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tuesday’s experience was fun and engaging. Instead of listening to one person talk about their job the entire time, we moved from place to place around the Courthouse and Airport, meeting various people with completely different roles in our community. Something really interesting I learned during the field trip is that an airport is like a city. Not only do thousands of people travel through it every day, it has its own fire department, EMTs, food and clothing shops, chapel, and much more. There so many jobs you would never expect to find in an airport. Besides security, there are environmental engineers, a human resources office, and communication directors that talk to the media. It was nice to hear about all these career opportunities in Arlington, and actually going to see them in their work setting.

    ReplyDelete