During the
next few days, pay conscious attention to the corporate culture at your
internship. Corporate culture refers to the "personality" of an
organization. It defines "how things are done around here." Corporate
culture guides the way employees think, act, and feel at work. A good
fit between an employee and the culture of his or her workplace almost
guarantees success and happiness, and - one could argue - may make the
difference between a job and a career.
Please read the short article entitled, in part, "Uncovering a Company's Corporate Culture" at http://www.quintcareers.com/employer_corporate_culture.html
(Note: If you get an error message when you click on the link, type or copy and paste it into the search bar of your browser; and it should take you to the article. If all else fails, do a Google search for corporate culture. You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups.)
Towards the end of the article, Dr. Hansen lists questions which delve into organizational culture. Ask some of these questions of yourself and/or your co-workers. What do the answers tell you about the culture of the place in which you are interning? Share three or four of the most intriguing answers here.
Please read the short article entitled, in part, "Uncovering a Company's Corporate Culture" at http://www.quintcareers.com/employer_corporate_culture.html
(Note: If you get an error message when you click on the link, type or copy and paste it into the search bar of your browser; and it should take you to the article. If all else fails, do a Google search for corporate culture. You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups.)
Towards the end of the article, Dr. Hansen lists questions which delve into organizational culture. Ask some of these questions of yourself and/or your co-workers. What do the answers tell you about the culture of the place in which you are interning? Share three or four of the most intriguing answers here.
The work environment at the invertebrate exhibit at the zoo is extremely laid back when it comes to human interactions but when it comes to taking care of the animals, all joking is put aside. This shows that the people who work there are easygoing but also reliable people. The dress code at the zoo is very flexible, all that is required is the volunteer FONZ T-shirt that is given to every volunteer and employee. The only thing that is not allowed at the zoo are blue jeans and I have no idea why and no one I have asked knows exactly why. The training for working at the invertebrate exhibit at the zoo is pretty much on the run, you hit the ground running and learn as you go. Even today, in the third week, I am still learning how to do things due to the massive amount of machinery involved in taking care of so many aquatic animals.
ReplyDeleteWhat sort of machinery are you working with, and how do the other employees teach you to use it?
DeleteThat's cool. That sort of laid back, while at the same time demanding and interactive environment sounds like a very neat place to work.
DeleteI like that its relaxed, but when it comes to taking care of the animals that they take it seriously.
DeleteWow it sounds like the people working at the zoo really take pride in their jobs and care deeply about the animal's walfare. It's awesome that you're enjoying your experience!
DeleteThats awesome to hear how its very laid back, but when it comes to animals, its serious. What are your views of caging animals since you worked with the zoologist and saw how they treat the animals?
DeleteThe hours at the tax revenue office are the normal 9 hour day. There are three breaks scheduled, when you take them however is flexible. The employees don’t seem to have much competition with each other because they all have the same job, tax auditor. They have different cases and they occasionally ask a coworker’s help or opinion, but other than that their own work stays in their own cubicle. I’d say it’s a relatively fun environment, they have some inside jokes around the office, and someone is always laughing. The dress code is business attire. On Fridays the dress code is slightly more relaxed. Everyone has their own cubicle, even the supervisor. There is no expectation of spending time outside the office with coworkers. I did however go to starbucks with everyone on my last day and I got the feeling they were all comfortable around each other in a non-working environment. The supervisor was a very chill person. She made jokes with every one and was very welcoming to me.
ReplyDeleteDo you feel like the environment in your office is particularly social?
DeleteWhen I hear cubicle, I sense a bit of isolation...am I right? Or do you get to freely move throughout the office? Do you feel like you working on a team?
DeleteI think the environment is pretty social. The cubicles are a form of isolation, however the social environment keeps people moving about and talking to others. The work being done is not so much of the teamwork type. There are some circumstances where one person will ask another's advice on some work.
DeleteDuring the school year I always notice that my favorite classes are the ones where time passes quickly and I never even think about how much longer I'll have to sit until the bell rings. You mentioned that your internship was about 9 hours. Do you find yourself watching the clock or does time go by quickly?
DeleteIf everyone is in their own cubicle with their own work, are you able to move around and talk to people a lot or do you usually do this only during one of your breaks?
DeleteI really enjoy the work environment at Alexandria Pastry Shop. The atmosphere in the kitchen is very relaxed and everyone jokes around and makes fun of each other while we work. People are very polite and respectful of each other as well. I'm always very careful to say "please" "thank you" and "excuse me" when I'm carrying a heavy tray full of desserts. However, the relationship between the kitchen staff and the managers is very different. Everyone is still friendly but we maintain a more professional attitude when interacting with the managers.
ReplyDeleteOne thing that everyone seems to appreciate is their own counter space. I think the space to set out materials and work without bumping shoulders really contributes to everyone's pleasant attitude in the kitchen. The kitchen is also very organized so that the people who are focused on production (baking the cakes, cookies and tart shells as opposed to decoration)are near the ingredients and the people who focus on decorating have counters near the sprinkles and decorating materials.
Everyone who works in the kitchen wears very casual, comfortable clothing. Most days I wear yoga pants or sweat pants and a T shirt. We have to wear long pants as protection in case someone spills something really hot. Most people avoid wear jeans because the kitchen gets very hot with both ovens and grills on for the entire day. On top of that we also wear aprons since it can get pretty messy.
That's interesting, I can imagine that the corporate culture at a pastry shop is much different than most other places. Have you been enjoying that kind of relaxed, social atmosphere or would you prefer some type of more serious or individual-focused environment?
DeleteHow are decisions made- and how are those decisions communicated to the staff?
ReplyDeleteAt the Partnership, decisions are made by groups rather than one boss. Those whose job is effected by a certain experience are made aware of what needs to be decided and they are included in the decision-making. E-mail is the most-used method of communication when decisions are being made- both to make decisions and to share decisions with everyone involved. For example, this week I designed an ad for the READY Coalition that will go in the APS football programs. Once I finished a draft of the design, my mentor sent it out to everyone on the committee of the READY Coalition, and they sent back their comments about the ad design, how much we wanted to spend on it, etc.
What is really important in your workplace?
Always keeping the mission of the Partnership in mind. My mentor especially likes to remind all of the members of the different groups within the Partnership what they are all trying to accomplish in the long run for the Partnership and Arlington.
How do people from different departments interact?
Everyone working for the Partnership communicates very directly and comfortably with one another. They all like to talk to each other about everything related to the Partnership. This ease in communication definitely makes it easier to get work done.
Oh really, the READY Coalition? I actually worked alongside them too as a member of the teen network board. It seems like a job that can have demanding clients! It is good that there are direct forms of contact because that keeps the "team ethic" more tightly knit. Yeah I like that idea...at my internship, the employees are like a team too! We all have a special thing that we contribute.
DeleteIs it hard for people to agree on decisions being made in the groups?
DeleteDefinitely. That is the biggest obstacle the Partnership faces when they are making decisions. There are so many different types of people coming together, it's hard for everyone to agree on things, but they all have the same goal in the end, so they try to work past any disagreements as much as possible
DeleteAt my internship the corporate culture is laid-back, task oriented, and humorous. In terms of space, I get my own office (the best one)! They trust me, and give me so many responsibilities so that I feel very welcome! Another great part is that Dr. Curry (the head doctor) treats me as an equal and a co-worker, and he shows no sign that he even wants to be superior or overbearing.
ReplyDeleteWhat is it like to work here? It's is nearly perfect because I am given jobs that, if done incorrectly, could cripple the office (which shows my significance as an intern). I feel that the environment is laid back and effective at the same time.
How are the employees valued? Well my doctor has lunch with me (usually one on one) every single day; he shows me that he cares about me and that he wants to keep me learning! This also reflects the care the rest of the employees have at the office.
Christina and I get our own office too! It's great how we both are surrounded in an environment where people trust us and give us our own responsibilities. I hope everything continues to go well!
DeleteIt's great that Dr. Curry doesn't show any kind of discrimination towards you. I sometimes get the vibe that the people I work with think I'm incapable of doing the jobs they give me. You're very lucky that Dr. Curry and his employees don't think of you that way.
DeleteIt's great that Dr. Curry puts so much responsibility on you. I think you are learning a lot as he shows more trust in you.
DeleteIt's awesome that you're getting to talk one-on-one with your mentor for maximum learning opportunities. It's great to hear that you are trusted being an interns, as that isn't always the case.
DeleteYou're so lucky that you get your own office and are given a lot of responsibility! Did you feel nervous or worried at first? I worked at a doctor's office too and the most I did was type in medical records.
DeleteThats very nice how your mentor is so close to you, my mentor is also very close, yet shes very busy, and I dont blame her, she has an important role in the office. Its great to hear that you have your own office. Sounds like an awesome time.
DeleteThe office I work at isn't all that formal. Since I'm working on a campaign, there are lots of volunteers, and they are very casual, showing up in t-shirts and chatting. I work at a large table, and so do they, so often times I find us discussing things like mangoes, and The Dark Night Rises. Even when I talk to my boss, we still keep things personal and upbeat. We talk about our childhood, our weekends, and potential colleges. All in all, it is a very fun environment.
ReplyDeleteI feel like anyone would enjoy this type of culture, and so saying I love it isn't anything special. I'm a naturally shy person, but through the years I've been growing more outgoing and this is a really good place to practice and develop it. Even though I love this type of corporate culture, though, I still feel like I would enjoy most types of corporate cultures (unless in involves sitting in a cubicle all day). I enjoy formal attire and a sense of professionalism, but I also enjoy lounging in shorts and laughing at a large table. Liking so many different corporate cultures is a good thing, since it should make almost any job enjoyable.
You're so lucky you get to work in a business environment like that, it sounds so easy-going and laid back! That's pretty much the complete opposite of my work environment, and I wonder what it'd be like to work in one like yours.
DeleteIs the stuff you do ever boring or repetitive?
DeleteSometimes when I was making a calendar of events in the 8th district (my main task) it would get really boring after working for 7 hours. Luckily, there is enough variety in the tasks I'm asked to do that I rarely sit in the office the whole day, and get to go outside a lot.
DeleteIt is really great that you know what type of professional culture you enjoy! At my internship people are always talking about the sam things. I think that it's so nice to have a work environment that is close and connected with one another on a personal level.
DeleteAt Cowen Design Group, I can say that the corporate culture is relaxed, social, and open to ideas. There are no walls or cubicles that separate the co-workers from each other, and the office is bright, open, and organized. The attire at Cowen is business casual, with an exception to casual Friday. There is also a high level of interaction between Alisa, the owner of the company, and the rest of her employees. Alisa is the primary person responsible for creating this corporate culture. She believes that a life should not revolve around a 9 to 5 schedule, and that her employees should enjoy coming to work in the morning.
ReplyDeleteI talked with Jordan, one of the landscape architects here, about his views of Cowen Design's corporate culture. First off, he says that he loves working here. He believes that success in this company requires creativity, competence, and a level of social aptitude. Employees are also highly valued around here. Alisa treats everyone well, sometimes awarding them with parties or other social gatherings. Jordan also said that Alisa's communication with everyone is very well... so well, in fact, that they probably know more than they should.
By interning at Cowen Design Group for the past month, I've received great insight into how an office works. From working with the other employees here, I can say that this corporate culture is right for me.
That's really great that employees are highly valued, and that you find that the culture at your workplace is right for you. It's very similar at AETV; where everyone is treated equally because the main basis of their jobs is collaboration-- similarly with working in an architectural firm.
DeleteWhat you said about the open work space is interesting to me, because I think I would feel like I was on display or something, but I suppose it forces people to be comfortable working around one another. In our new office the "intern area" is just at a desk in our copy area, so I'm kind of tucked away, but everyone is still very accessible despite having offices.
DeleteAETV is a very casual environment. For my interview, including my first day, I was feeling a little over dressed even, because the basic attire is jeans and a collared shirt (all of my coworkers, with the exception of Christina, are men). Everyone gets along impressively well, and they go out of their way to say hello to you in the hallways and remember your name. If Christina or I are having a problem with the editing software or with a specific camera we're using, we could call anyone in to help us and they would be happy to do it.
ReplyDeleteThe nature of Jeremy and Darrell's jobs is working together as a team. Everyone here has to work as a whole and "put egos aside". That way they can "work effectively and essentially get the job done faster and more efficiently".
When I'm around people that I don't know very well, I can be very shy. Surprisingly, these people here can make me feel so comfortable that I don't have to hold back on any questions or input that I have. That in itself proves to me that this culture suits me.
That's awesome how casual, yet productive, your working environment is at AETV. Its similar to how it is here at Cowen... whether its formal attire or jeans and a t-shirt, it's the collaboration and people that make a difference between a good and bad project. It sounds like AETV is a great fit for you! Enjoy it there next year!
DeleteMy workspace is a little more relaxed too. I can tell that I can be less formal with adults here than at school or home, but I'm still having trouble letting my guard down. However, the people here are so nice and open, I think with a little more time I could be more comfortable like you.
DeleteI think it's great that you get along so well with your bosses and feel so comfortable around them. From hearing some of your other personal stories about working there, it seems that the relaxed atmosphere helps everyone to be more productive.
DeleteWow Rebecca your internship sounds really cool!! Your so lucky to have such a awesome intern to work with!
Deletehahaha<3
DeleteMy internship was very relaxed, too. The dress standard was also fairly casual. I loved that I could wear normal and comfy clothes!
DeleteThe corporate culture at the Sheraton Pentagon City is social, professional and business-oriented. People always dress well, and while it's never said outright, there is definitely competition as to whose bag/shoes are cutest. There is a no open-toed shoe policy to prevent foot injuries, since the hotel is really big on employee safety. The company also does its best to provide the employees with perks, such as ice cream or raffles.
ReplyDeleteWhile there are cuticles, one side is open so that people can see and talk to the people they sit across from. At lunch, the social aspect comes largely into play; people from all different departments sit together and joke with each other. This is a nice atmosphere, although the way the seats are set up make the people walking in feel like they're under scrutiny until they sit down. Once lunch is over, it's back to work. People at the Sheraton take work very seriously and like to get exactly what they want without repeating themselves. They are nice people, but can be very rude when they're frustrated or under pressure. When the sales managers go out with clients, though, they are the epitome of accomodating and polite professionals.
Dr. Hansen's Questions:
What 10 words would you use to describe your company?
Demanding, social, busy, organized, clique-y, professional, hotel, competitive, habitual, rewarding
Around here, what is really important?
Making money for the business by selling rooms and booking events. The phrase "work hard, play hard" pops into mind.
How effectively does the company communicate to its employees?
Every day, the Sheraton Buzz comes out and is posted by one of the main employee stairwells. The Buzz has fun information, as well as the safety topic of the month, this month being bloodborne pathogens (ew). There are also encouraging statements and other info, such as whose birthday is coming up and what staff meetings will be taking place. This, I think, is a very fun and effective method of communicating.
Wow, in my opinion, this sounds like a tough place to be! Do you ever think you would want to work at a company that has a similar corporate culture to the Sheraton?
DeleteThe Engineering Department at Reagan Airport is very relaxed. Everyone is given a good amount of space to conduct their work, but mostly spend their time in the field. Everyone is treated as equals, and conversations are often relaxed and humorous. There is an informal dress code, where the women wear casual businesswear, and the men wear button-down t-shirts and the occasional tie. Everyone is mostly independant, scheduling their own work and doing it at their own pace. They also eagerelly give help when asked, and always return a message. I can see myself working here, because this is a good place if you like to set your own tempo, but also enjoy friendly human contact.
ReplyDeleteRaymond, its cool that people work at their pace at your internship!!
DeleteI like the fact that the dress code is relaxed.
DeleteThe corporate culture in the office of construction and design for APS is very relaxed and friendly. My coworkers are constantly joking around with each other, and, sometimes, even pull pranks on one another. From little things like bringing doughnuts into work, to big things like watching over a coworkers young daughter, everyone in the office is caring, understanding, and always ready to lend a helping hand. However, as Dr. Hansen mentioned, the building space can also make a difference. The space I work in has some natural light, not too much, but in not the most gorgeous facility which likely skews my feelings toward the job.
ReplyDeleteHow do people from different departments interact?
The people from the different departments interact in a friendly manner. This is mainly because most of the different departments are in the same building, and on either side of your office may be people from different departments. All in all, everyone is friendly toward one another.
How do people from different departments interact?
I think it's safe to say I have not seen a negative interaction between any of my coworkers. Everyone likes each other and values each other's opinions. They joke around, even address each other informally, and do not feel nervous or intimidated by their bosses.
Around here what behaviors get rewarded?
I think that around the office hard work and genuine effort are valued. The result of your work is less important that the effort you put in. However, I also think that, because it is such a caring atmosphere, my coworkers focus less on their reward or punishment, and are driven more because they truly enjoy their work.
How effectively does the company communicate to its employees?
I feel that the effectiveness in which coworkers communicate with one another is greatly dependent on the quality of Arlington public school's computer systems. Because many computer systems are out of date and work only sometimes, communication can be less than desirable. However, the small atmosphere of the office picks up any slack that the computer systems may cause.
It sounds like you work in a really great place! But how do you feel about it? Could you imagine yourself working in a place like this?
DeleteI feel very comfortable and at home in my office. I can see myself working there, however, I can also see myself working in other places where I'd be more comfortable and enjoy myself more.
DeleteThe corporate culture for my internship is very unique considering there are only two employees, and they are both in 12th grade. Along with the two employees(Paul and David), there is Jeff Elkner, who manages the project and sets a direct for the work to go, as well as Joe Youcha, who is the client for which the project is being developed. Overall, this results in a pretty relaxed, independent culture.
ReplyDelete"How are decisions made - and how are those decisions communicated to the staff?" The project, an online quiz/evaluation program, is being designed for Mr. Youcha, who ultimately decides what it is that he wants out of it during conversations with David and Paul. On the smaller scale, Mr. Elkner, Paul, and David work together to decide how and what to do to accomplish the goals set out for them.
"What's it really like to work here? Do you like it here?" The environment is informal and relaxed. On most days there is no strict time when you have to come to work or when you have to leave. However, the isn't much interaction with others, aside from the occasional meeting or discussion or during lunch, the day is spent silently in front of a computer.
"Are there opportunities for further training and education?" For me, this internship itself has been an opportunity to learn a little bit of computer programming. Mr. Elkner teaches various classes throughout the year on programming that could teach skills that could help me either learn enough to continue on this project, or that would be useful elsewhere.
Like your office, CPRO only has a few employees. Do you like the independent and informal culture at your internship, or would you rather have it be more interactive?
DeleteCan you imagine yourself being in this sort of environment in the future- a casual one but without emphasis on interaction?
DeleteIts very interesting how they give each worker(all 2 of them) so much independence. Do you think a lot of work gets done this way, with more focus, or would more work get done if everyone could work together more?
DeleteI like how the environment is relaxed and informal, but not so much the lack of interaction. Sure there is a lot of procrastinating that happens, but they are both driven workers and get the work done nonetheless.
DeleteAt the Arlington Chamber of Commerce, although it seems as though it would be uptight, it is a fairly laid-back atmosphere. A common misconception is that the Chamber is affiliated with the government, but it's a separate organization. The dress code here is definitely professional, but there is a variance in what everyone wears. I wear either a dress or skirt or dress pants to work everyday while our president wears a suit and our part-time accountant often wears a collared shirt and jeans. Around times of major events, the office is much busier, but besides the last minute move, the summer months are slower at the Chamber.
ReplyDeleteDo you feel you know what is expected of you? - My mentors have always been very clear when giving me directions and I feel comfortable to ask questions if I'm unsure of what they are asking of me. Although I feel I do all of my tasks at an average pace, they always seem to be impressed with the speed of my completion. Most of the assignments I had didn't have deadlines it was just "when I get a chance" I should work on it, so I just moved immediately from one project to the next.
How do people from different departments interact? - There's very close interaction here as all of the big projects and events present overlaps in everyone's designated responsibilities. Kate handles the event planning, which needs to be publicized by Amy, when members register for them they go through Leticia, Chris brings in new members, and Aaron runs the numbers for expenses spent for the event. It's a very collaborative process.
How effectively does the company communicate to its employees? - Given that there are only 6 employees here, you would have to be trying really hard to ignore somebody. They have weekly staff meetings and there's frequently someone in another office discussing something with someone.
Everyone here is really friendly and personable and that's key to being successful in what they do here. A lot of what the Chamber does involves networking, and that is the main appeal to why members join the Chamber. Hearing how the employees here go out to dinner solely for personal reasons with members is really cool to me and I think one thing that helps the office run the way it does is relationship building, both internally and externally.
“What's it really like to work here? Do you like it here?”
ReplyDeleteThe Corporate Culture at CPRO is relaxed, friendly, and often quiet. CPRO has a small workforce, so everyone knows each other very well. Because of this, they are kind and helpful towards one another. However, they are focused on their work, myself included, causing them to remain quiet most of the time. Above all else, CPRO is very understanding and tolerant. Though they are focused on their work, the staff often takes breaks to get some fresh air. I have never been denied the opportunity for taking a short walk. Overall, I like working here, as I have a lot of freedom during work hours.
“How are decisions made - and how are those decisions communicated to the staff? Does the organization emphasize working in teams?”
I have incorporated many of Takis Karantonis’s suggestions into my survey. Together, we decided how to conduct the survey, and made it more appealing. The employees at CPRO update each other on new information, after which they make decisions. Every decision, whether it be planning out the upcoming farmers market or buying new silverware for the office, appears to be a group decision.
“Are there opportunities for further training and education?”
I have learned several things while working at CPRO. The first, not directly relating to the organization, is an increase in my understanding of a work environment. I now know what it feels like to commute each Monday through Friday and be well dressed. I also have a better feeling for how employees communicate and collaborate with each other.
The second thing, while tedious, is that I now am aware of better short cuts in organizing research. I have learned many new tricks in Microsoft Excel, which I’m sure I will use many more times in the future. I’ve also learned several techniques which reduce the amount of time it takes to find information online.
Third, I have learned a lot more about survey methods and planning. I now have a better feel for the right words I should use to make my survey more appealing, reduce bias and lower confusion.
Finally, I have learned a great deal about urban planning, and the services that CPRO provides. This includes acknowledging the impact that structures have on their surroundings (and vice versa), knowing the importance of sidewalks and safety, and gaining a better understanding of how zoning projects are approved.
Whit, your office sounds like a nice place to work. Do you ever feel stressed about your work or do you see other people feeling stressed about big due dates or projects?
DeleteMatthew - To my knowledge I have not felt stressed, or at least uncomfortably stressed, while working at CPRO. This is in part because I have not been assigned due dates for projects. Though not stressed, I still try to be efficient in my work. The others working at CPRO don't appear to be stressed, even when they're faced with upcoming events or projects.
DeleteAround here what's is really important?
ReplyDeleteAt the National Zoo the top priority is the health and welfare of all the animals that live there. Specifically in the Bird House providing the animals with clean habitats and appropriate diets for each species. Besides the safety for the birds it is also very important that all staff are always in safe situations. There are a few birds that can cause severe injuries to people and for that reason very few keepers every care for those animals.
Around here what behaviors get rewarded?
At the Bird House verbal praise is used to reward hard work and dedication. At times interns are rewarded after completing a demanding task by being excused from the next work activity and are given an opportunity to attend a special activity.
How do people from different departments interact?
The Bird House is only one of the many departments at the National Zoo however, all departments are interconnected. Everyone knows at least one person in every part of the zoo. My mentor has set up VIP tours for all Bird House interns and volunteers to attend and we have gone and seen Amazonia, Beaver Valley, Reptiles, Apes and the Kids Farm. All the different people we met had nothing negative to say about any other department. Everyone who I have interacted with are positive and only have great experiences with their colleagues.
The atmosphere at the invertebrate exhibit at the National Zoo is very laid back and easygoing. The people that work there however, take their jobs and responsibilities very seriously. The atmosphere during lunch is very comfortable, as everyone eats in a break room and talks.
ReplyDeleteAround here what's is really important? - Everyone takes the health and care of the animals very seriously, as well as the safety of the employees. I also believe that everyone values the comfortable and laid back atmosphere of the work environment.
Do you feel as though you know what's going on? - Everyday that I go to my internship I complete different tasks and learn something new. Since it's important to accomplish tasks correctly I ask questions if I'm ever confused or need clarification. I think the work environment is adapted to make people feel comfortable about asking questions and excited to learn something new.
It sounds like there are a lot of busy, and passionate people who work there. Even if it wasn't a zoo, would you like to work around people like that?
DeleteIt's nice that everybody is so laid back but responsible and serious at the same time! It ensures that all of the jobs get done, but no extra stress is added
DeleteI don't get the same feel that Sophi did about the hotel. This is probably due to the fact that Mr. Alexander and I are the only people that work in the HR office. For the first two weeks of the internship security was also in the HR area but they have moved back to thier office. While I wouldn't say that there is a very relaxed environment I don't see a whole lot of stress and competition. Once again, this is because no one else works in the HR office. When I go to the cafeteria most people sit and talk with other employees. More often than not these people work in different departments. While I was doing some filing I saw the companies new hire checklist. On of the things on the list for the first day was giving the new hire a buddy to eat lunch with. I thought that was a good idea to help the new hire feel more comfortable.
ReplyDelete"Are there opportunities for education and trainig?"
There are ways to move up the ladder at the hotel. The current general manager of the hotel first started with HEI, the company that manages the hotel, as a bus boy. While one can move up in rank it will require a lot of moving around. The general manager lives at the hotel and visits his family on weekends. Many of the managers at the hotel talked about working at many different hotel in their career. Just beofre Sophi and I started working at the hotel two of the managers were in Texas helping to open a new hotel.
"Around here what is really important?"
At the hotel safety is really important. The company has a deal with a shoe company called shoes for crews. The employees at the hotel can buy those shoes for less. The shoes are meant to be worn by poeple who do a lot of standing and moving around as part of their job. They are said to provide much better grip than ordinary shoes. The hotel also play safety bingo. Each day a new number is called and the first three people to fill out their entire bingo card get $100. If there is a accident at the hotel causing an employee to miss a day of work the bingo is started over. HEI is about to start a company wide safety bingo where the winner gets either a car or $25,000. The amount of money goes down each time there is an accident.
Matthew, you mentioned that the HR Office now only consists of you and Mr. Alexander. Would you have preferred to work in a more dense office, or do you enjoy a more quiet environment?
DeleteWhit, I enjoy a quieter work environment. I like being able to focus on a task without being interupted by too many other people.
DeleteI think the safety bingo is a really good way for the hotel to stress the importance of safety.
DeleteThe work environment at the Carlin Springs Elementary school is pretty relaxed when class is not in session. The other teachers I have met with are very polite and considerate of others. I feel like I can talk to the other teachers without feeling too intimidated or shy to speak up to them. When class is in session, the environment feels sometimes frantic when trying to control all of the children who are trying to get your attention at the same time, perpetually. However, it is exciting to have all of the energy from the students to fuel your energy to start and end the day on a positive note through teaching. Things are done promptly and efficiently around here. The teachers are well prepared with materials. It is important to keep class running swiftly in order to not fall behind in any of the curriculum that is needed to cover.
ReplyDeleteHow are decisions made - and how are those decisions communicated to the staff?
Decisions are mainly made by the main teacher I am working with and curriculum decisions are all determined by the school board. I am able to put my own imput from time to time when we are planning a lesson. I believe you are expected to teach a large amount of material but as a teacher, you have the freedom to teach that said material in a vast variety of ways. During the school year, I know that meetings are held to share how material should be covered and obstacles that need to be heard and fixed.
Are there established career paths for employees in this position?
Many may say that there is not a very clear career path for employees in the position of education except for moving up grade levels in teaching. However, I believe being able to teach multiple subjects, working in different areas and schools, and having the opportunity to further your educational career through other occupations such as office/other work positions in similar fields of your choice could also be a way to establish your career path.
What 10 words would you use to describe your company?
I would describe Carlin Springs Elementary School as: crazy, colorful, youthful, organized, unorganized, adrenaline-rushing, hectic, humorous, thought-provoking, and commanding.
Do you feel as though you know what is expected of you?
I do feel that I know what I am expected to do. I understand that I must act professionally and set an example for the students as I work and help. I also understand that I should act respectfully with all of the people that I meet in the school, especially those who I work with. I know that I am expected to work my hardest and produce materials and use my skills to the best of their extent.
At the National Park Service, I think the best answer to "how things are done around here" is that everyone has a "get things done around here" attitude. The job for a ranger is very unpredictable and they often find themselves in situations they may not have planned for. But nobody bothers with excuses, instead they get the necessary tools, contact the necessary people, and work out a solution to the situation. Everybody has to work through problems, so I think there is a strong bond between the people working because everybody knows that at some point they will need help from somebody else, so they should all get used to helping each other out. This also answers the question of how employers are valued. At the NPS, I think they are definitely valued over everything else. The type of physical work the rangers do is something a computer cannot, so every job is dependent on people to get it done, not the processing power of a desktop computer. When everybody feels they are valued, I think it really improves the atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteGoing into how different departments interact, this cheerful atmosphere means everybody is happy to work through problems with one another, because its almost impossible to get anything done without getting multiple branches involved. In even the lab I am in, there are YCC workers, college graduates with the SCA, adult volunteers, and at times multiple biologists who, as the leaders of all the workforces, then talk to anybody else needing help or getting involved.
Combining the questions of "what's important around here" and "what skills does the company value", the answers are almost the same. Around the NPS it is important to be able to have an open mind and readily work with others. Knowing what resources are available is also important, like vehicles or tools. Wanting to do your job is the most important or all, which even though may seem like a given, is not always the case. This enables you to be better at your job, by wanting to help and wanting to make the park a better place.
It's nice that you're working in such a positive atmosphere that allows you to cooperate with others easily.
Deletethe coporate culture at my workplace is very unique. Since the doctor's office is such a small practice, there is not a ton of extra money to invest into organization. All of the file folders and cabinets are very old and overflowing, all of the money transactions are done by hand, and confirmation phone calls are done personally, rather than an automatic message. These factors in a way make the practice more personal with the patients.
ReplyDelete"How do people from different departments interact?"
the interactions from people in different departments are very intimate since there are only two people in the office other than the doctor. The office manager and the medical assistant are very close and friendly toward one another, and will often split up tasks to be more efficient.
"How effectively does the company communicate to its employees?"
Unfortunately, there is quite a lack of communication at this office. Since the doctor is always either busy with patients or taking phone calls, he doesn't have much time to explain tasks to the employees. He will give orders, but cut the directions short. This often leads to either the employees not knowing what he wants them to do, or they do it wrong and the doctor gets frustrated. If they all took more time to talk to one another and be honest when they were confused, I think tasks around the office would be much more efficient and less stressful.
The lack of organization in the office can get pretty overwhelming, but at the same time it is not such a huge practice that it causes chaos. I also think that the patients appreciate having more time to speak with the doctor than they would at a big office seeing twice the number of patients.
Wow! You all obviously gave a great deal of thought to your comments before you posted. As I read, I felt like I was at a cocktail party and had just asked the ubiquitous question, "What do you do?" Now I know why that's the first thing everyone says when they meet somebody . . . the answers are fascinating!!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget to go back and check your post for questions from your fellow interns.
What are 10 words that describe your company?
ReplyDeletelaid back, efficient, hardworking, motivated, fun, interesting, technological, creative, small, supportive
Around here what is really important?
At AETV the main goal is to get the job done quickly but also done well. A lot of the work here depends on technology so the employees have to be willing and able to adjust.
Are there opportunities to further training and education?
This particular career field is always evolving. New and better technology is available every year, and it is almost impossible to learn everything about the technology that is already available. Not only is it encouraged for the employees at AETV to further their training, it is required. This does not mean that they are required to take classes or anything, it just means that they have to constantly learn new things in order to keep up with their field.
That sounds awesome, my internship has the same qualities as yours does, as in getting the job done quickly and in a timely matter. What time of work do you do at your internship, and do you recommend other people to join, because my brother is interested in that field.
DeleteHow are employees valued around here?
ReplyDeleteAt the Connection Newspapers, everyone, from the interns to the freelance writers to the editors, is truly valued. Though nobody is making six figures here, everyone is happy and treated well. One example I can think of is that on every Thursday, when all of the interns and writers gather for the weekly meeting, there are always boxes of donuts and bagels for anyone to take.
What skills and characteristics does the company value?
In reporters, the skills that are valued the most are proactiveness and being extroverted. If we want to write about something in particular, the onus is on us to suggest it, get it approved, and then go out and interview the necessary people.
Do you feel as though you know what is expected of you?
On the first day of my internship, my mentor told me that every intern can work as much or as little as they want. I feel that from day one I've known what was expected of me, and that was to simply work hard.
This sounds like a good place to work. "On the first day of my internship, my mentor told me that every intern can work as much or as little as they want." I bet their motto is verbum sap sat
Delete•Around here what's is really important?
ReplyDeleteI would have to say respect is the most important quaility in a co worker at a psychiatric office. Being kind to one another is also very important, because whenever you need help, they always have your back. Also doing your work on time helps everyone, not just the doctors, and trying to help the office more than your boss is a good quailty to have.
•How do people from different departments interact?
They all depend on each other, and without one of the deparments, it all falls apart. The doctors rely on their secretaries, and the billing department relys on the manager to get the payments from the patients. It's all a big happy family, thats how I like to think of it.
•What 10 words would you use to describe your company?
Busy, considerate, efficient, collaborative, scary, intresting, work, caring, relaxed(at times), and FUN!
How are employees valued around here?
ReplyDeleteAt the NRC, there seems to be a positive relationship between the employees and their bosses. The chief of the Human factors and reliability branch, Sean Peters, makes sure that all of his workers have important work and feel like they are contributing to the overall goals of the NRC. There are regular meetings where everyone discusses their recent undertakings, and it seems like the workers are all very supportive of each other.
How do people get promoted around here?
I think one of the cool things about the NRC is that they not only allow but encourage movement in the organization. Mr. Peters, for example, has worked with them for a bit over a decade but has held 5 or 6 different positions-- all of which he has enjoyed. Promotion is given to people with the most experience and motivation (from what I can tell).
What skills and characteristics does the NRC value?
-Good communication
-Cooperative
-Engineering degree (this one seems like its the most important)
To whom is the engineering degree the most important to? The NRC or the other employees? Seems like coworkers would prefer the first two. :P
DeleteIt is a nice little model they have that they have the meetings about the work people are doing, to show the value they have in their employees. I think it is really important that the company acknowledge their workers as people,so its good that the chief of the branch makes sure everyone feels good.
DeleteMy mentor was very deliberate when he answered my four questions. Nice and short, but with plenty of meaning.
ReplyDeleteDo you feel as though you know what is expected of you?
Yes, although ever day is different, because he deals with special projects, the guidelines are always laid out clearly.
How do people form different departments interact?
Email mostly and a lot of random walk ins. In terms of getting along, mostly well. there are a few people that are "not on his best side," but his job involves a lot of listening to people and so he feels as though mostly everyone is friendly.
How effectively does the company communicate to its employees?
Okay, could be better. He feels that he is 'high on the food chain" so he gives out the information mostly. However he gets annoyed when a project is changed at the last minute when others knew about the change well before hand. He thinks this happens to often.
What are the organization's priorities for the next few years?
Mostly watching closely to Population affects on health care (Tricare, the militaries heal care especially) and to try and save money with reducing costs by utilizing preventive care. As well as working with beneficiaries more closely. Also above all to take care of our wounded troops.
Did the other members of the staff seem to enjoy the work environment as well?
DeleteMy work environment is very laid back and very group-oriented. Public Relations for Arlington County doesn't happen just through the events or just through the press releases, but by everyone working together to make sure that Arlington County's image is constant and doesn't vary from department to another. This requires constant communication and collaboration, which I'd say is one of the most important things I have learned while working here.
ReplyDeleteIt's also very laid back from person to person, which I think keeps things running smoothly between everyone. I also think that because of the constant communication between everyone, that everyone begins to really care about one another, creating a very family-like atmosphere, which I really enjoy.
Sounds like the culture their is much better than mine....
DeleteI'm sure the mix of communication and laid back feel made your internship very enjoyable and straight forward
DeleteAt MWAA, the IT Techs are contracted employees under two contractors; Disys and TISTA. The contractors judge the value of an employee based on the number of tickets that are closed (25 a week). This seems very short-sighted and a bad way of measuring skills. Also, because everyone is a contracted employee, the regular work environment found in other offices is distorted here. There are no real promotions or rewards for outstanding performance and advancement in the same company is almost non-existent.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very confusing atmosphere and culture and I would prefer never to work for contractors.
Do the employees like how the company is structured or do they feel the same way you do?
DeleteWhat are the organization’s priorities for the next few years?
ReplyDeleteOne priority is trying to get inspectors out to visit high-risk facilities four times a year instead of three. To get this accomplished more inspectors must be hired and trained.
Does the organization emphasize working in teams?
It is hard for the inspectors to work in teams because they must all go out on inspections individually, but they are encouraged to collaborate on potential problems that arise.
How are decisions made and how are those decisions communicated to the staff?
Most of the decisions made by the supervisors come from the ideas of the staff. At the weekly staff meetings, problems are brought up and supervisors ask what the inspectors think because they are thought of as the experts.
Although it was only my first week at Health P.L.L.C., by asking my coworkers and myself the questions from Dr. Hansen’s article, I learned more about the organizational “corporate” culture in the workplace. Because the company is a private practice and basically consists of two other people (Dr. Schum-Brady and her secretary/nurse), there isn’t really a complicated hierarchy system. This is a good thing because in such a small office setting, clear communication between the doctor and secretary is key to making sure everything runs well. Most of my role as an intern is shadowing the secretary by helping with the paperwork side of medicine. I’m able to see that the doctor values her very much because not only does she have to keep track of everything business related, she also takes vital signs and does IVs. I think it would be pretty hard to find someone with the skills an education to do both. But then again, because of the small office setting, I also don’t think there’s much room for promotions (job/title wise). Despite this, the atmosphere is very amiable, with a lot of joking around and learning new things from each other every day. I feel as though I know what’s going on most of the time and if I don’t, I can always ask.
ReplyDeleteThe Courthouse office was a laid-back, fun workplace where there was always time for a laugh. Much of the work for the clerks, who I spent most of my time with, revolved around answering phones, filing papers, and organizing the court docket. As such, much time is spent fighting away boredom, which makes for a very light atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteThere are three main areas of the office, which are the front desk, post-court area and pre-court area, and each has its own employees. Despite the separation, all the employees know each other and get along well, creating a cohesive workplace that runs very smoothly.
Finally, as far as moving up or furthering a career in the office, there don't seem to be many promotion opportunities, but there are ways for employees to take on more responsibility in order to better themselves and the workplace. For example, a clerk can learn how to use a particular court database so that they can go into that court to help out.