Friday, July 6, 2012

Think About It - Week 1

By now, most of you have spent three or four full days at your internship.  Please comment on this post this weekend, or after your second or third day as an intern, but not later than July 11. If your internship is not scheduled to start by July 11, please e-mail a reminder of this fact to me at oloughlin.becki1@gmail.com

Write a short summary of your first impressions of your internship. React to the work environment, your mentor, your co-workers, and the tasks assigned to you. Discuss ways in which the internship has and has not met your expectations so far.

Don't forget to come back and read your fellow interns' posts throughout the coming week and comment on at least two of them. Remember to keep your comments positive and supportive. You should do this (read and comment) even if you will not start your internship until next week.  Be sure to check back for questions other interns may have asked of you.

124 comments:

  1. My internship is at AETV at the Career Center. I really like the casual, easy-going environment in the office, as well as Mr. Johnson, my mentor. He understands the goals that I have for my experience here, and so far he's made sure that every day I learn something new. I have one other coworker here who has her own mentor, and it's really nice to have her around. She is a great person to bounce ideas off of, and her positivity makes the day go faster and makes it more fun. I've found my tasks challenging and also helpful that positively contribute to my experience so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really great that you get to work with a friend. The first day of my internship I walked in to the place with no clue what I should do. My original mentor was even switched last minute on me! I was so lost! Then my current mentor Katie helped me out and took me under her wing so to speak. She's closish to our age and is so friendly. Working with people you have a good time with really seems to make the job go by faster. Hope your next week goes well!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you have shared your goals for the internship and are open to new ideas as well.

      Delete
    3. From what I heard the other day, your internship sounds fantastic! I'm jealous that you have another intern there to bounce ideas off of. Since my mentors are sometimes busy, it's difficult to have questions answered. But luckily that shouldn't be a problem for you! Hope the rest of the month goes well!

      Delete
  2. My internship at Columbia Associates of Psychiatry is a wonderful and a very friendly environment. They had given me a work area in the back to do my tasks while letting me take breaks and giving me snacks. I had meet tons of new people, psychologist, nutritionist, social workers, the billing department, and much more. My mentor Ms. Sheehan is the nicest person you'll ever meet. When I had first walked in, all I saw was a smile on her face which made this a comfortable work area. My tasks so far isn't something I can not handle, but gives me a glimpse of the real world career in this field. I can wait to see how much my skills have proved after this internship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's neat Jawad, I worked with a psychiatrist last summer! It was amazing because I truly got to understand the field of medicine and psychology at the same time! What are the kind of tasks they have you doing? Is your mentor a psychiatrist?

      Delete
    2. Your ability to interact with a wide variety of people will be a valuable skill no matter where you go in life.

      Delete
  3. I am interning at Alexandria Pastry Shop. I've had a great experience during the first week. The working environment is surprisingly relaxed and fun. Everyone works efficiently but at the same time we are all talking, making jokes and having a good time. My main mentor, Katie, is really nice and supportive. She has let me take on a lot of responsibilities and I've already been allowed to do more baking and decorating that I'd originally anticipated. I've mostly been cutting fruit, shaving chocolate peels for cakes and baking cookies. I've also been able to help decorate the cakes and tarts as well. This involves either glazing the top of a cake and placing layers of fruit in a pattern or using frosting. Today I was allowed to decorate a cake completely by myself. I had to cut a 12 inch sheet cake into 3 even layers and then frost each layer. It seems simple but it's a little tricky to get each layer to be the same size and have an even surface. The frosting process is also deceptively challenging; it is difficult to frost a large, sticky cake without getting crumbs on the surface and keep the frosting completely smooth. Despite my inexperience, I think my cake turned out pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I would not be able to do that (I'm not very artistic or creative)! What stuck out to me is the fact that you had to decorate your own cake—I would be very afraid of messing it up! It seems like you have some experience thought right? If I were you I would probably eat that layered cake before it's even ready, because I have no patience!

      Delete
    2. It's good that you are given a lot of active tasks at your work. It's even better that your mentor is giving you tasks of increasing difficulty. It means you are slicing your way to the creme-filled center of your interested profession, and you seem ready for a taste!

      Delete
    3. I think it's great that you're mentor trusts you with important tasks like decorating your own cake. You must have really impressed her with your dedication and enthusiasm! Have you been learning new baking techniques from your co-workers? It seems like you are learning a lot, and having fun doing it!

      Delete
    4. I'm impressed! I can't frost an eight inch layer cake!

      Delete
  4. When I first came in to Dr. Curry and Associates I was a little overwhelmed by the patients waiting, and the non-stop receptionists...as I walked into the employee-only area however, I felt the productivity and kindness eminate throughout the room—and I knew I was at the right place. I was quickly set right in front of my mentor Dr. Curry, he kindly greeted me and stood out of his chair in sheer respect, I felt that he truly cared, and he adjusted me into the environment rapidly! My coworkers are jubilant and kind-hearted—to the point that I wonder if they are still talking on the phone. The assignment given to me this week was to work at the front desk with the receptionists, answering phone calls, which turned out to be a great experience. Next week I will work with an actual doctor! Nothing negative about my work so far except that sometimes later in the day (when there are no patients) there is less to do stay busy. This internship has met my expectations by promising to give me jobs that actually require responsibility (tasks that could actually help or hinder the office's productivity).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first came to my job, I was a little overwhelmed too. It wasn't so much the amount of people, it was the sheer size of the organization itself. However, it always helps to have kind people who are enthuaistic about their job.

      Delete
    2. That sounds fantastic man! It sounds like we both are immersed in an energetic atmosphere. A characteristic I like about your internship is the fact that you get to deal with people, such as answering phone calls. That is one downside to my internship, considering I sit at a computer all day. Good luck with the rest of it, I'm sure you'll learn a lot!

      Delete
    3. I love the fact that you kept an open mind about your initial assignment . . . and it paid off in experience, didn't it?

      Delete
    4. I honestly didn't know what to expect in my first day as an intern, but after the couple of days passed, I got use to my co workers and my environment I was at. Would you recommend interning here again?

      Delete
  5. That seems pretty cool. One of my other interests is medicine. What type of doctor are you working with (like pediatrics or something specialized)? Shadowing a doctor for an extended time period seems like a really informative experience. Anyway I hope your internship continues to go well and progresses further into really seeing medicine in practice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week, I was given an assignment to write a public paper on the new Reagan runway saftey measures, which is my main project this month. I also shadowed Mr.Legbern as he inspected a hanger renovation for building code violations. Although things were a little disorganized because of the storm, I found the staff of the Engineering West building very kind and helpful. They give me a lot of freedom at the office, not needing me to check in and out, and let me take my lunch break when I need to. They also gave me a sizeable space to conduct my research, a cubicle with desks, drawers, a computer, and a phone. On my first day in the engineering building, they gave me paper research materials and an aerial view of the airport while I was waiting for computer clearance. They allowed me to use the break room and the vending machine, which provide delicious snacks when my research gets a little dull. My main mentor, Mr. Smith, is very lenient, and gave me no problems when I informed him about the PRIME meeting days, which he had no prior knowledge of. In the future, they told me I will be shadowing more engineer personal both at Reagan and maybe Dulles. I am really looking forward to my research and these experiences in the field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your research about the runway sounds pretty interesting. How to do rather information about that? Do you get to go out on the runway and inspect it? It sounds like everyone you're working with is really eager to make you comfortable at work, which is great!

      Delete
    2. Wow, Ray! That sounds like real, impressive work! Almost makes it worth the anxiety involved in setting up the internship, yes?

      Delete
    3. It's awesome that you got to shadow Mr. Legbern during the renovation! I'm sure that gave you a great glimpse of the real engineering that you're interested in. Will the paper you're writing be published anywhere? Your research sounds so interesting and fun!

      Delete
  7. My internship is at CPRO (Columbia Pike Revitalization Organization). The office space is small but very comfortable, and the staff is friendly and reliable. My mentor, Mr. Karantonis, helped me gain a better understanding of Columbia Pike on the first day, and guided me in the right direction of the work that I will be doing. I will be constructing a survey for the businesses situated on Columbia Pike, as well as analyzing the data afterwords. Mr. Karantonis has given me many helpful ideas, as well as kindly offering to accompany me while I survey the businesses. Before my first day at CPRO, I hoped that I would perform meaningful labor. Now I am glad to know that I find my work interesting, fun, and significant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciated your willingness to "do the work that needs doing" and am glad to hear that you will be doing something interesting to you. Trust we -- your survey will be well used for months to come! (Do you think you will take Takis up on his offer to accompany you when you do the surveys?)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the complement. Yes, it was very nice for Takis to make me more comfortable with my work. I will accept his offer.

      Delete
    3. That's really neat. Not only does it sound like practical, useful work, but you also seem to be playing a significant role in it! What other kinds of work does the CPRO do?

      Delete
    4. CPRO performs many tasks. One of which is to provide information for businesses and residents around Columbia Pike about upcoming changes to the area. Another is to organize community events (farmers market and blues festival are the most common) to promote the idea that Columbia Pike is a great place to live and operate a business. Also, CPRO encourages smart growth, so that Columbia Pike can become more pedestrian-friendly and vibrant.

      Delete
  8. I am interning at Cowen Design Group in McLean. I've had a fantastic time during my first week. One of the greatest things about the office is the open and relaxed atmosphere. There are no walls or cubicles separating the co-workers from each other, so communication is always active.

    My mentor, Alisa Cowen, is a very down-to-earth and humorous mentor. She has a strong desire to bring balance between work and personal life, so she treats her employees fairly and she's the primary reason for the relaxed atmosphere.

    I have found it very easy to assimilate with her eight other co-workers (the rest of the company). There are two landscape architects, and five engineers in the firm. Since the engineers had a major deadline this week, I've gotten close with the landscape architects who work there, and I've talked about the ACE industry heavily with them.

    As for projects/tasks assigned to me, I was busy working since the first day. On the first day, I was assigned by my mentor to do research on different types of engineering and architecture, and what programs different universities offer. It was an interesting experience, considering I haven't thought too heavily on what college I've wanted to attend yet. Throughout the rest of the week, I've been working on exercises in a drafting software, called AutoCAD. One of these included drawing an iPhone.

    So far, this internship has met my expectations on a number of levels. I expected a heavy focus on project deadlines, so I knew there would be limited times for me to speak with other co-workers. However, I did not expect the open and relaxing atmosphere in the office. All I can say is that I enjoy it so far, and I can't wait to see what lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great project! Did you find anything you can apply to your future decision-making?

      Delete
    2. The relaxed atmosphere makes the Cowen Design Group sound like a nice place to work. Looking at different university programs seems like it would be interesting and helpful for the future.

      Delete
    3. Hey Ms. O'Loughlin, and yes I did. I learned to look ahead at the scope of the project, and to plan ahead for conflicts that might arise in my design process.

      Delete
    4. Working with all that different technology, like drawing on the iPhones and using AutoCAD must be really cool! It's good that you get to interact with your co-workers more than you expected as well- it'll give you a chance to see what it's really like to be an architect/engineer.

      Delete
    5. I think easy communication is one of the best things to have around, especially in our situations with our mentors. All of our offices here at AETV are close together soon, so there's always someone around to help. I'm glad everything's working out well! (:

      Delete
  9. My internship at the Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth and Family began slowly, and mostly consisted of doing busy work. As the week progressed though, my work began to surpass my expectations. My employer took me to a number of meetings for programs like Second Chance, which provides first-time offenders with rehabilitation without ruining their permanent record. I was so interested in what the program is doing that I was offered a position on their committee for their next year of operation. The other intern I am working with and I have been trusted with putting together the foundation website for the Partnership, as well as writing blog posts for arlingtonteens.com. I was pleasantly surprised that I have really enjoyed writing for the blog. All my co-workers have incredibly welcoming and want to keep me involved in their work. I feel that they value my opinion and enjoy being able to get a teen's view on the work they do, specifically in regards to the data they collect from surveying high school and middle school students in the area about the community and risk behaviors. I have been asked to review this data and take notes on what I believe other teens would find interesting if schools were to receive the information that has been collected. Having another intern there who is my age is nice too. Two heads are really better than one for our work.
    I never expected to that my mentor and co-workers would want me to be so involved in the decisions they have to make about marketing their programs and distributing their data. The environment in the office is calming and quiet so I'm able to get my work done quickly and easily. I've had a great first week at the Partnership, and I can't wait to see what's in store for me next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you took Mr. Egenreider's words to heart and waited out those first few settling in days. You must have made a wonderful impressions (In fact, I've talked to Ms. Durand, so I know you have.) Will you accept the committee position for next year? What an honor!

      Delete
    2. It's great that you are able to contribute so much to their programs, and that your voice really matters in what they do. Congrats on being offered a spot on the commitee!

      Delete
    3. Your internship sounds great and it's exciting that you are able to have a real impact on the work that they do. I hope it continues to go well!

      Delete
    4. It's wonderful that although you started out just doing busy work, you've shown such interest and involvement that you've gotten to the point where you've actually been offered a position on their committee in only about a week! Congratulations and good luck!

      Delete
    5. It sounds like the workers at Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth and Family really value your help! It is pretty amazing that you were offered a position for next year on your first week as an intern!

      Delete
  10. I'm interning at the Nuclear Regulator Comission in Rockville MD. Because of security reasons, though, it is diffficult for them to have me in the building so I can only work on-site on monday and friday. For the rest of the week, I basically am working on a research project. The cool thing about this is I get to learn about an interesting science (the science of human factors) and apply it to other studies that I'm interested in. But, its a sort of solitary internship since I'm working without a mentor or coworker for most of the week.

    It has still exceeded my expectations. My mentor, although she is a genius in her area, knows how to convey concepts in a way I can udnerstand. I also like that I can have more of a free reign with this internship, since the subject of the projects, as long as they apply to human reliability analysis, are up to me. It's just too bad that legal problems prevent me from actually observing the work that goes on at the NRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've done a good job of "making lemonade," Nate. Tell us more about your independent project as the blog progresses, since you might have trouble answering some of the questions about workplace culture, etc.

      Delete
    2. It is interesting how you can't always work on the premises, but when you are there are you doing your research project or something else? And did you create your own or are you assisting your mentor in her work?

      Delete
    3. On monday, she gives me an assignment and 'lectures' me on a relevant topic; then I do the assignment over the week and on Friday I present it. This past monday, I also got to sit in on a few meetings for the human factors section of the NRC, so I'm getting to know some of my mentor's coworkers and their work a little better.

      Delete
    4. Do you think you will have more access later in the month? What is your research project on?

      Delete
    5. I hope so. Maybe they'll realise I'm not trying to sue them/steal government secrets. My project is actually on a plane crash that happened 3 years ago--I'm trying to figure out what caused the human failure, and what the probability is of it happening again.

      Delete
  11. My internship is at the National Zoo working in the Bird House. On my first day I was unsure of how much responsibility I would have and what I would be permitted to do. When I met with my mentor and other animal keepers they were all very enthusiastic and supportive. A large part of my work load involves cleaning exhibits, delivering food to the animals and maintaining the grounds. Aside from the necessary daily tasks, I am very excited about the projects I will be involved in. One is a research project focusing on the behavior of the Kiwi. This will be one of the first recorded studies of this endangered bird in captivity. In the other project I will be using behavioral techniques to train Elegant Crested Tinamous to use scales for weighing purposes. Going in to this internship I knew that I would be doing cleaning of exhibits and assisting zoo keepers with daily care. Overall my expectation have been met and even surpassed. These include working with college interns, having the opportunity to participate in these projects and quickly being welcomed into the work environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, what wonderful projects! Will you have an opportunity to follow either or both of them through to the end? (I'm a confirmed "twitcher" (birdwatcher).)

      Delete
    2. That sounds so cool! It's neat that you are able to contribute to significant research! What is a Elegant Crested Tinamous??

      Delete
    3. Yes! During my time there I will be able to complete both projects and hopefully continue to volunteer with the bird house. Elegant Crested Tinamous are from Chile and Argentina, they bear a slight resemblance to quail but they are larger and have different coloring.

      Delete
    4. Thats pretty neat,I was curious about zoology at one point in my life. Have you worked with any interesting zoologist, and how did you manage working outside in the high 90s weather, it must have been tough.

      Delete
  12. My internship is assisting with a computer programming project being worked on at the NOVA campus in Alexandria. The project is supervised by Jeff Elkner, although I am mainly mentored by two rising 12th graders, David Reich and Paul Gulley. The program is being designed for an organization that helps to teach math skills through hands on activities and boat building.

    Both David and Paul are nice and very adept at computer programming. I have only been at my internship for two days, but I'm already learning far more than I expected to, and David and Paul will surely be very helpful in teaching me more in the future. As well as learning useful skills, I am happy that I will be contributing to a part of a project that will hopefully be used to help many students and will have real life applications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am (very) basically familiar with the project, since I work with Mr. Elkner during the school year and I agree that one of the high points is the chance to do real work that will live on long after you are gone. Tell us more about the project in future blogs, as you might find it hard to answer some of the questions about workplace culture, etc.

      Delete
    2. What are the different types of activities are you programming? It sounds like you have a lot of flexibility with what you are doing. Do you get to choose what sort of things you program as well?

      Delete
    3. This sounds like a productive internship. If you pick up enough of the language, could you go on after this internship to help out with the project and get paid? That would be pretty neat.

      Delete
  13. I am working with the National Park Service in Resource Management. Erik Oberg is my mentor and he has been really helpful in getting me started, but he has also gone out of his way to introduce me to people around the office, and I've heard the career steps they took that led them to the job they currently hold. Everyone in the office is really enthusiastic about their work, which leads to a very positive environment, but also means I get to talk to them about what they are currently doing, which in the Park Service can be a variety of things from cutting back invasive species to inspecting damage from the recent storms.

    The internship has surpassed my expectations, because what I had in mind was something along the lines of menial office work, but so far the highlight for me has been mounting insects for the Smithsonian, because it is a great thought that the work I am doing to catalogue them will remain in the Smithsonian archives for many, many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that your mentor introduced you to everyone right off the bat, and also that you're not stuck filing papers! The feeling of knowing that the work you're doing now will last for a long time must be very satisfying, and since you're mounting bugs, seeing all the different species must be really cool.

      Delete
    2. I am practically seething with jealousy right now. Why can't I be mounting insects that will be preserved for generations? Seriously, though, it already sounds like a great job. The fact that they are willing to let an intern do such important work is pretty awesome.

      Delete
    3. When I visited the NPS insect lab, I thought one of the neat things about it would be the chance to do work that would survive for posterity. Isn't it amazing how much "stuff" is crammed into that relatively little space? And enthusiastic co-workers are always a bonus!

      Delete
  14. So far my internship with AETV has been amazing! It has surpassed my expectations as I was unsure quite what I was going to be doing and how much help I would be getting. My mentor Mr. Koller has been extremly helpful and is always patient when helping me learn something. He trusts me enough to let me try things out on my own and gives me guidance when I am stuck. Today I helped edit a highschool orchastra concert that will be reviewed and then put on air! I was pleasantly surprised to find that another PRIME intern was working with AETV. Her enthusiasm is contagious, and having another person around to talk to and share ideas with makes the internship more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that your internship is going well and exciting that you were able to help with such a big project. Hope it continues to be great!

      Delete
    2. What a "rush" to see a project you worked on all the way through from nothing to completion! And on TV, no less!! Could you tell what parts of it you had a hand in doing?

      Delete
    3. It's so great that you're getting that opportunity to work on things that'll actually go on air and that your mentors really trust you! It's also great that you have another intern and that you aren't working alone on anything.

      Delete
  15. I'm interning at the Sheraton Pentagon City. My mentor, Mr. Alexander, is really nice. The other people in the hotel are interesting. Some of them are more laid back while others are very serious. While I am generally a serious person, it's nice to have laidback people around. The way that some of the hotel's employees got to where they are today is very facinating. The general manager of the hotel first workered in a hotel as a banquet attendant.
    So far the work has been somewhat menial, mostly entering data into spreadsheets. It is tough to have inters in HR since they can't be subjected to any confidential material, such as employies salaries. I think that the work that I am assigned will get better and better though.
    One interessting thing about my internship is that Mr. Alexander's office is in the basement of the hotel, so I get to see all of the behind the scenes stuff that happens in the hotel. It's interessting to see all of the logistics that go into operating a hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though the work may seem a bit repitive, I'm sure it will become more interesting later. Seeing what happens behind the scenes of a hotel sounds fun.

      Delete
    2. Sounds very interesting. I've never really thought about it before, but after the trip to the airport it seems to me that a hotel must be pretty similar. Even though it is on a smaller scale, it still has a variety of completely different jobs and opportunities.

      Delete
    3. My internship is similar regarding the little amount of information I am allowed to see since I am working with a doctor, so I understand how frustrating and boring entering numbers into a computer. However it seems like you are getting a good glimpse of all the different work done in hotels! I think we've all wondered at some point what happens in those basements...

      Delete
    4. Thanks for keeping an open mind about the "work that needs doing." Isn't it interesting to see the behind-the-scenes part of the hotel? I always think its kind of like the princess's dressing room: when she arrives at the ball she looks all glamorous, but back in the castle are all the pots, and wigs, and corsets that made her look that way!

      Delete
    5. I do think that it is interessting to see the behind the scenes of the hotel. I enjoy walking down the basement hallway and seeing all of the employees moving around doing their respective jobs. The HR office is right next to the loading dock of the hotel so throughout the day I see people unloading boxes off of trucks. It's cool to think about the logistics of running the hotel.

      Delete
  16. My internship is very different than I expected. The work environment is very small and crowded, and I expected it to be very orderly like a hospital. My mentor is very demanding, and has high expectations for me. If he says something once, he doesn't want to have to explain it again. I have a variety of tasks, from organizing papers on shelves to helping take x-rays which I am happy about. Although I am not necessarily interested in the area of podiatry, it is cool to see what it is really like to be a doctor rather than what it looks like on tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working at a hospital, and I agree that it's really cool to be able to see the behind-the-scenes aspect of what really goes on in a setting like that in contrast to what's shown on TV. I haven't been to the radiology department yet (where the x-rays are done) but it sounds really interesting from the podiatry point-of-view, especially because you're able to help take them!

      Delete
    2. "As advertized," this doctor will give you the real scoop with no sugar coating! The good part - as you've already noticed -- is that he will also let you do some of the more interesting work. I'm glad you can hang in there with his rather gruff manner.

      Delete
    3. Is there ever a time this doctor's office is disorganized and very busy? I have never been to a podiatrists' office before and taking x-rays in this area of medicine sounds really interesting!

      Delete
    4. Exactly, I always thought being a doctor is like int he TV show House, but its very different. I always have been curious on why someone would want to specialize podiatry. Maybe you can help me answer this question after your internship.

      Delete
  17. I have been interning at the Arlington Department of Health Environmental Health Division and I could not have started at a busier time. It was the Monday after the weekend of power outages and the whole Health Department was in Incident Command. All of the inspectors had to go to every grocery store in Arlington to make sure that they were no longer selling spoiled food and I was able to go along to a few inspections. Going out to the stores was not what I expected and it was very interesting to be able to see what types of foods had to be discarded. I really like all of the people I have been working with and I am excited about my latest project, which is a presentation on ethnic food in Arlington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like quite a busy time to have started working! We're moving offices as we speak and it has led to a little bit of frenzy similar to yours. It's a good time for them to have an intern around though!

      Delete
    2. Claire, I think you are the first PRIME intern with DHS to work with food safety, which is certainly something that impacts all of our lives. What are you looking at in you ethnic food project?

      Delete
    3. Your internship seems very interesting! I'm working with APS construction and design so with all the new renovations and schools going up around the county (and all of the problems that come with it) the office has been a bit hectic as well.

      Delete
    4. Mrs. O'Loughlin, I am researching common ingredients, popular meals, and possible inspection concerns. For example, some inspectors confuse ripe plantains for rotten bananas. It has been an interesting two weeks!

      Delete
  18. My internship is at the Sheraton Pentagon City. I work with the sales/catering department and I've seen a lot of jobs that interest me. There are about 15 people in the sales department and for the most part, they all do different jobs. For example, there's someone who works with airlines and companies to book individuals traveling on business; there's someone else who books schools and school-aged tours to DC. I find the differences in these jobs very interesting. In addition, the people are very helpful and let me know exactly what it is they'd like me to do. The tasks I do vary from day to day. Due to the changes in event specifics, I usually have to deliver or "route" the changed event orders to different departments of the hotel,which has given me a really cool opportunity to see the ins and outs of the hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like its a city, just like the airport. Since you work in the sales department, do you get much interaction with the customers? Or is what you do mostly 'behind the scenes?' Sounds like a fun internship so far.

      Delete
    2. That's so cool that you get to meet a lot of different people. It's great that you get to do different things every day to keep things interesting. I hope everything's going well! (:

      Delete
    3. This is a career that requires true flexibility; and because you deal with "the public" (ie people you need to keep happy in order to keep your hotel running smoothly), you need to have your "game face" on at all times even when you don't feel well and/or you're not exactly sure what you're doing. This can be a real challenge. It sounds as though you are handling it well so far. (To take another analogy from yesterday, I guess you're the Clerk of the Court!)

      Delete
    4. Hmm it seems like you've experienced the behind-the-scenes part of the hotel like I have at the airport. :D

      Delete
    5. Wow Sophi it's awesome that you're getting to learn about your desired career field by observation! It gives you a cool perspective on what you may or may not want to do as you get older! I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far!

      Delete
  19. I didn't have many expectations before I walked into Jim Moran's office, where I'm interning for his campaign. There was a possibility of doing something incredibly involving, such as speaking with constituents in person and over the phone, or something that required little thought, such as shredding paper. Two days into the internship, I had done both those tasks along with many others. Doing the tasks that required more responsibility were nerve wracking, but everyone in the office was so supportive and friendly that feeling wore off in a few minutes.

    I will admit that when I arrived at the office, I was surprised to see how small it was. There were only five other people working there. The size ended up being a blessing, because since you were so close to your supervisor, it was incredibly easy to have conversations with them and understand how the office worked for someone at a higher level. This didn't last long though, and by the second day, me and two of my co-workers were moved to the Arlington Democratic Headquarters. The new office had more space, getting rid of that cozy atmosphere, but it also had new people. The Arlington Obama campaign worked from the same office and so once I was finished with the Moran work, I would move on to campaign for Obama. It really was killing two birds with one stone, except much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You must have impressed Ms. Moran with your flexibility and work ethic. You are the first PRIME intern to make that leap. And what a great time to be working in a national office! Soak it in, soak it in!!

      Delete
  20. I am interning with the Connection Newspapers, and so far it has gone pretty well. There are about fifteen different papers that fall under the umbrella of "Connection Newspapers," each of which covers news in a different neighborhood. Some things are printed in multiple newspapers, but generally every newspaper has original content. I work in a row of office townhouses that is the base for about half of the Connection papers, including the ones for Arlington and Alexandria.

    As the newest intern at the location (most interns here are in college and are way smarter than me), I have been relegated to working on the newspapers' "core," which is essentially the janitorial equivalent of the newspaper. The core consists of event notices and news releases that the newspaper receives, and my job is to edit the releases down to a more manageable size than the one it comes in. It's very tedious work, but I'm hopeful that I'll get a chance to do some story writing soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping an open mind and demonstrating you willingness to do "the work that needs doing." I think editing, especially cutting someone else's precious word (literally) down to size, is one of the hardest jobs on a newspaper. Do your assignments well, make yourself available (you know -- hang out with the coach, don't have a gab fest with the team behind the bench), maybe even write a story or two on your own time and I'll bet you get published. I want to see the byline.

      Delete
    2. I don't think that I would be able to do the work you do, Nick. If I had to edit news and other things I would never take out enough information. I would be too afraid of taking out an important piece of information that I would end up leaving most of the information in the news releases. It's pretty cool that you are able to do that.

      Delete
  21. My internship is at the Carlin Springs Elementary School. I am working with a teacher to help students in the grades kindergarten through 2nd grade to enrich their English, science, and math skills.

    The work environment was quiet and slightly relaxed, despite the first day jitters. However, when the students came in, the ambiance started to get more lively as the day progressed. My mentor was able to help me transition to being in this type of environment, as I was no longer a student at school. My mentor also helped me work on beginning communication and different teaching skills that would assist students in ways that they could figure out answers but still firmly grasp and understand specific concepts. I have the pleasure of working with one additional teacher's assistant that is helping me with my internship experience as well.

    So far, I enjoying my internship experience. I was not expecting to be able to work on students as hands on as I am currently. I am learning a lot about how to help students and how to better myself as an educator to others as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am helping out with the preschool Vacation Bible School at my church this week, and I think "hands on" is the only mode there is when the children are under seven! I'm exhausted after two hours! How are you holding up? Will you have an opportunity to plan lessons?

      Delete
    2. I've coached, directed, and tutored, and having gone through different coaches, teachers and directors myself, you find yourself recognizing different methods of teaching the same information. Have you found yourself using methods that past teachers of yours have used?

      Delete
    3. It is quite exhausting to work with 20 children even for only 3 hours. I do have an opportunity to help plan lessons with the teacher I am working with, Ms. O'Hara for about 30-45 minutes during the start of the day and anywhere from 2-3 hours after summer school ends.

      I haven't really seen myself use similar methods my teachers have used with me and my classmates because the set of students I am working with are in the ESOL/HILT program for beginning English learners. We do use similar materials, for example counters for helping with math lessons. However, the curriculum for ESOL/HILT students has a major focus on the English language and many of the math lessons are more of dictating and helping children understand the questions being asked rather than reteaching the already learned lessons and concepts.

      Delete
  22. For the first two weeks of my internship, I am working at INOVA Alexandria Hospital. Without any medical experience, I’m in more of a volunteer position, and the volunteer manager (my mentor) is amazing. Although she has many people to coordinate, she always takes the time to make sure I’m being utilized and learning something new while I’m at it. Every day is different as I’m working in the wide range departments around the hospital. So far, I’ve done everything from sitting at the visitor’s desk and checking ID’s to assisting patients in the Emergency Department (which I actually have access to with my badge!). Sometimes I have to figure out how I can be useful to a department as most of the doctors and nurses are very busy. However, volunteers and nurses alike have welcomed me with open arms and taken the time to teach me about their jobs and what I can do to help.

    Working at the hospital has surpassed my expectations because although I was expecting some menial tasks like buzzing people in, answering the phone, and making packets, I was not expecting to be able to discharge mothers and their newborn babies by myself or watch what goes on at the different nurses' stations. As the end of my second week approaches, I’m looking forward to learning even more about each of the individual components that make up a very well-run hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for lookinhg for ways to be useful and involved! That one step out of your comfort zone will make the difference between a so-so internship and one that will blow you (and your mentor) away!

      Delete
    2. From what you have observed, does working in a hospital seem like a really stressful job? Do you think it would be harder to be a doctor or a nurse?

      Delete
    3. I think of course it would be harder to be a doctor just because of all the school you have to go through just to get there and then all the demanding hours you have to work. From what I've seen, doctors and nurses alike are usually rushing from one place to another because the hospital gets very busy depending on which department you work in. It seems stressful because there are so many people who have to worry about, but I think the reward of being able to help those people live makes up for the stress.

      Delete
  23. When I first got to the tax commission office, I was greeted by my mentor Rodolfo. He took me around the office to introduce me to all of my new coworkers. Then he set me up at my own cubicle. My first job was to enter the address of many businesses into ACE, which is the system they use. After I finished that I had the job of going through papers to highlight the name and BTN of a company, blackout barcodes, and unstaple packets so they would be ready to scan. Then I was given a BTN list. This is a list of all the purchases a company has made within the time since it has been running. I type the description and original cost in and excel sheet and add up the total cost for each year. The BTN list is what I have been doing for most of my internship.
    My mentor is a little awkward which makes it hard to talk to him. Everyone in my office has a name tag on their cubicle, so I decided to make one for myself. Once I put up my name, many more people started to say hello or stop for a chat as they passed by. This made me feel much more welcome. My internship is what i expected, an office job with not much activity. But I also thought they would explain the process a little more and that there might be a meeting. I have learned that I really don't like office jobs. It's not necessarily because it's boring, but that I have trouble sitting so still. My coworkers move around more than me, but I never have a reason to and I feel like I'm supposed to sit and do my work with no interruptions. Even though I am maybe not enjoying my internship that much, I know it is good to have this kind of exposure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray for you, Cailin, for taking the initiative to make yourself a nametag; and what a wonderful insight you had about people stopping to talk to you! I'm not sure I would have thought of that.

      Since you have also observed that other folks move around a fair amount, and since we know it is not healthy for us to sit for long periods of time, I think it would be fine for you to choose one or two people to walk over and meet each day. Choose a natural break point in your work, get up and walk to another work station, introduce yourself, and ask the person there to tell you about his or her job. Don't spend more than five minutes total. It will break up your day, give you a chance to stretch, and help you learn more about your work environment while demonstrating your interest in what's going on around you.

      Delete
  24. I'm interning at the Arlington Chamber of Commerce. Just after the first week, I've gained a sense of how this office runs and how everyone gets their job done. The Chamber offers a unique office experience in that, besides myself, there are only 6 other employees and two of them hold part time positions. Each worker here is the director of whichever department they work, so with exception to me being the intern and our president ultimately running the show, there is no immediate hierarchy. The different aspects of work that everyone handles often overlaps with somebody's department, so the work effort here is truly collaborative. That being said, this makes everyone my boss, not solely my two designated mentors. Despite it increasing my project load quite a bit, I actually really like that, because I get to be exposed to every part of this office. Everyone here is so nice and helpful and I do truly like all of them as people. They are understanding that I entered the program intending to work somewhere with communications, and have been flexible in adjusting my projects so that I can learn from their communications director and not just do busy work all day. I'm looking forward to the rest of my internship and have already gained valuable work experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have many family members who work in different types of offices and numerous different departments. What exactly does the Arlington Chamber of Commerce do and what are some of the things you have done during your internship so far? Also, do you find it difficult to make time to work with all of the different employees and departments?

      Delete
    2. The Chamber focuses on helping Arlingotn businesses. We try to build the community and make it the best place possible for businesses to prosper. Since all of the departments are so closely related, it doesn't require too much effort to work with everyone. I've managed alot of social media projects and have written a few pieces for the Arlingtonian.

      Delete
    3. Congratulations on expressing your internship goals and expectations in a way that made the folks you work with want to help you meet them, rather than turning them off! Just out of curiosity, do yo see any difference between the full time and part time workers in terms of work load, respect, etc.?

      Delete
  25. My first week as an intern was certainly nerve racking but extremely enjoyable. My fist day, Monday the 2nd, I arrived wearing a nice dress suitable for most work environments. I was surprised to find that my nice dress was too formal. I saw sundresses, jeans, and flip flops. Naturally, I felt uncomfortable. My first few days were not as busy as I had expected and had little to do. I was assigned small tasks but nothing major. However, as the week went on, I found myself becoming more helpful and more comfortable. My coworkers are very laid-back and relaxed and made the office warm and welcoming. While still doing work we were all able to goof off and have fun which was a pleasant surprise. I learned more about life as an adult and what an occupation is like on a day to day basis more than architecture itself. Though I was initially disappointed I realized that there is so much to be learned from all aspects of my internship and am grateful for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're having a lot of fun! It's good to see the continuing trend of a friendly and warm work environment; this is a really important point that we should all remember when we have any trepidation about going into a new job.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for keeping an open mind and adjusting your expectations. That may be the most useful ability, not only in PRIME but also in college, your first job -- maybe even in life. When your boss sees that you are flexible, s/he is much more likely to let you try new things, because you won't be crushed if it doesn't work out!

      Delete
  26. I am able to say that my internship has only really started this week. I am interning in the IT department at the Washington Metropolitan Airports Authority next to Reagan National Airport. Because of this, I have had to go through all the safety procedures and background checks that any full employee goes through and that resulted in me sitting at a desk and reading on Monday the 2nd.

    However, on Tuesday I was introduced to the techs including Chris Nelson, my mentor, and was immediately hit by the atmosphere of the place. As an intern, the main thing I do all day is follow Chris or the other tech, Julia, around and sit while they fix issues. This may sound boring, but everyone at MWAA is incredibly friendly and open and I have had many interesting conversations and met many interesting people from a board member to janitors.

    I also came in on a wave of new techs and so I am not alone in my experience. We are all pretty close and have lunch together everyday. Because of this environment, my expectations were fairly exceeded despite the lack of work that I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding the necessary evil of read tape. I hope that by week 2 you will get into more nitty, gritty of actual work.

      Delete
  27. After a week and half of my internship, I can definitely say that I am having an interesting and eye opening time. My mentor has been extremely helpful. On my first day I helped my mentor pick up his photography equipment because he had just finished an assignment in Kansas City. Later that week, I attended some business meetings with him, which were discussing some of the logistics for some exhibition openings. Overall, I would say the atmosphere was pleasant and not at all what I expected. My mentor and his various other colleagues and clients have been very nice and professional. I have mainly been watching as opposed to doing tasks, but it is still interesting and good to get a feel for the way things work in the industry. I'm sure this internship will continue to help me develop and enhance my interest in photography as a career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super excited for you. That's awesome that your internship is really hands on and I am glad your mentor isn't very overwhelming and, instead, very helpful. Good for you glen coco.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you're having a chance to see the business side of what Mr. Wolf does, as well as the creativity involved in photography. Many people who love shooting photos. and may even take some great ones, never think about the logistics involved in putting an exhibit together or the dynamics of working with other artistic folks.

      Delete
  28. I am interning at Synetic Theater. My mentor is Ms. Elena Velasco. She is amazingly patient and understanding. She deals with me as well as dozens of young, energetic children. During my internship, not only will I be aiding her with the Summer Camp, but I will also be training with the company. This experience will really help develop my skills as an actor. Training will begin on Tuesday the 10th. I am very, very excited about this opportunity. Currently, I am doing odds and ends. I can't wait until I get creative freedom, and I really put my skills into use. I have to be very flexible with the hours that is available for me to work, it changes depending on the work that needs to get done. She e-mails me the times, and I try to fit around the given time. In general, everything is ok and it is working out fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This seems like a marvelous opportunity for you, Zana, and having to be flexible about the times gives you a taste of the "real thing." Flexibility and change come with the territory when you work in theater -- or any kind of performance venue, for that matter. My son is a sound and lighting technician and often does not know from day to day when -- or even where - he will be working. The payoff for you is the chance to use your creativity and go beyond what a high school intern can usually do. Keep us up to date on your exploits!

      Delete
  29. I am interning at the Turkey Run Biology Lab with Erik Oberg. I am working with another PRIME intern and some volunteers at the park looking at bug samples that were taken at the park by a Georgetown biology professor in 1998 and 1999. With the power out and the air conditioning not working at the main part of the lab, we had some extra time with our mentor looking over the projects that he had assigned to us in the headquarters building. After the first two days he trusted us enough with the material to let us work freely on the sample without his direct supervision so that was nice and, he has gone out of his way to show us the jobs at the park. The actually work that we do is in a fairly relaxed environment which is nice we are pressured to get work done but we are not rushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow -- I didn't realize the samples had been around that long. No wonder there's some pressure to get them over to the Smithsonian! Are you getting out into the Park at all?

      Delete
    2. That sound really interesting. Is there any pressure to get through the bug samples quickly? And do you find it to be a difficult or stressful task?

      Delete
  30. Unfortunately due to the power outages from Friday (06/29/12) my supervisor told me not to come in on monday. Only essential personnel were allowed in the building. Tuesday was a blur of hand shakes and greetings as Dr Opsut introduced me to the office. Many people were surprised that I was just a high school student. I do not have full clearance to the building so every day I have to call Dr. Opsut to bring me up as a visitor. This also means I do not have a computer so there are very few things I can do to help out. I was surprised that I got my own cubical all to my self and to find out that I had a lot in common with the man in the cubical next to mine. The office is fairly relaxed and it is not hard to get in the swing of things I'm sure the month will fly by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you work and what jobs have they been making you do, then, that don't require the computer?

      Delete
    2. Security does have its drawbacks, but I think most of us would not want to be responsible for deciding where to draw the line! Thanks for being flexible! As the month progresses, I'm sure you'll geet more involved in Dr. Opsut's projects.

      Delete
  31. When I first started working, it was an intimidating experience. I had to explain who I was to the Courthouse security and it was nerve-wracking. I was certain that any moment they would deem me too dangerous to let into the building and turn me away. However, the officer on security was kind and let me go to work. The rest of the week was a whirlwind of meeting people and filing work. I did expect the filing, but I think I didn't quite expect the sheer amount of papers to be put away. It took all week for me to get through the papers I was assigned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing that our so-called "paperless society" still generates so much paper!? On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be the one whose dismissed case couldn't be located because the clerk had mis-filed the paperwork associated with it, so I don't think you can overestimate the importance of what you did this first week. I hope you get into the courtrooms soon, too.

      Delete
  32. As I walked into my first few days at my internship, I was shocked at how laid back the atmosphere was. Everybody is working but at the same time were talking about what they were doing and constantly asking for help from one another. I've gotten to work on the website, which was a great experience because I didn't know anything about how Arlington county's works both as a whole and for each individual school! I'm enjoying the experience so far and really like my mentor and the others working in the office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is another exampe of multi-tasking, one most people don't think of when we use the term. Not everyone can do it. Some people stop working when they chat with their co-workers, and that's why some employers don't like it. However, if you can carry it off, it makes for an enjoyable workplace; and some people even think MORE work gets done.

      Delete